Argentina, Brazil, Peru advance to semifinals of South American Youth Girls' Championship
Popayan, Colombia, November 12, 2013 – Argentina, Brazil and Peru advance to the semi finals after the second day of action at the South American Youth Girls’ Championship. The three South American teams won four matches in the qualifying round of the tournament, guaranteeing them a place in the next stage of the championship.
Defending champions Brazil played Chile in the opening match of the second day. Although both sides were evenly matched, Brazil came through to take the match 2-0 (25-21, 25-21).
Peru faced Bolivia in the second match of the day with the Peruvian team dominating the action to take the match 2-0 (25-10, 25-10). The Peru side was led by Juan Diego Garcia and the team dominated both in attack (led by Leslie Nicole Leyva and Abreu) as well as in defense. "Our goal is to be better each day and to improve ourselves in every game,” said the coach.
Argentina, captained by Azul Benitez , faced a familiar opponent in Uruguay in the following match. With Candela Poncet out of the game with an injury from the day before, Uruguay could not counter the Argentinians resulting in a 2-0 (25-9, 25-9) win.
The morning session closed with hosts Colombia defeating the Paraguay team, helped by the sustained attack led by number 13, Adriana Duran to take the match 2-0 (25-16, 25-14).
In the afternoon Peru closed its second day of competition with a 2-0 victory against Uruguay (25-16, 25-14), allowing Juan Diego Garcia’s team to secure their place in the semifinal of the tournament with four wins. With Brazil’s win against Paraguay 2-0 (25-8, 25-14), the defending champions have also won their place in the semifinals.
In the match that followed, Argentina defeated Bolivia 2-0 (25-21, 28-26) with Guillermo Caceres’ team owning their triumph to their powerful spikes and solid defense.
Hosts Colombia faced Chile in the last game of the day with local fans once again willing the home team to victory. The Chileans played some good quality volleyball allowing them to take the first set 25-21 and then the second, inspite of the scores being tied four times during the match. With their first win of the championship, Chile still has a chance of reaching the semifinals.
RESULTS OF THE DAY
Brazil v. Chile - 2-0 (25-21, 25-21)
Peru v. Bolivia - 2-0 (25-10, 25-10)
Argentina v. Uruguay - 2-0 (25-9, 25-9)
Colombia v. Paraguay - 2-0 (25-16, 25-14)
Peru v. Uruguay - 2-0 (25-16, 25-14)
Brazil v. Paraguay - 2-0 (25-8, 25-14)
Argentina v. Bolivia - 2-0 (25-10, 25-9)
Colombia v. Chile - 2-0 (25-21, 28-26)
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge