Six teams stand out in Champions League prelims with three straight victories
Luxembourg, November 8, 2013 – There are six teams with an immaculate record of three victories after the third round of prelim action in the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League – Men was completed on Thursday evening. France’s TOURS VB, Russia’s Belogorie BELGOROD, Italy’s Diatec TRENTINO and Lube Banca Marche MACERATA, as well as Halkbank ANKARA and Knack ROESELARE all top the charts of their respective groups waiting for the competition to resume in early December after the break due to the FIVB World Grand Champions Cup coming up later this month in Japan.
The triple block of Lube Banca Marche MACERATA starring (from left to right) Michele Baranowicz, Marko Podrascanin, and Bartosz Kurek stopping an attack by 2013 FIVB Club World Championship silver medallist Pavel Moroz of Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK |
Russia’s champions Belogorie BELGOROD have simply routed their opponents in Pool B with three straight victories over Noliko MAASEIK, Olympiacos PIRAEUS and – more recently – VK OSTRAVA to leave their mark in the prelims of Europe’s elite competition right from the go. This series of great performances confirms what their mentor Gennady Shipulin had stated shortly before the start of the season, as he stressed the CEV Volleyball Champions League was the main goal he had set for the 2013/2014 campaign of his star-studded team.
France’s TOURS VB followed up on last week’s home victory over Italy’s vice-champions Copra Elior PIACENZA with an away win in Slovenia where the players captained by Czech opposite David Konecny played another superb game to edge hosts ACH Volley LJUBLJANA and cement their leadership in Pool A.
Though their roster has undergone many changes this summer, Diatec TRENTINO still looks very competitive and on Wednesday cruised to a third straight victory as well, this time routing Turkey’s Arkas IZMIR in straight sets at the Atatürk sports hall.
The most anticipated game of the week did actually take place in Italy where Lube Banca Marche MACERATA and the winners of the 2013 edition, Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK, crossed their ways in the third round of play for what Volleyball fans have dubbed the “group of death”, Pool E.
With another solid performance, MACERATA could cruise past another Russian giant – they had already stunned Zenit KAZAN in the first round of play – to keep first place in a group where the battle for a spot in the Playoffs 12 is expected to be very close up to the end of the prelims.
Halkbank ANKARA and their many stars – Osmany Juantorena, Matey Kaziyski and Raphael Vieira de Oliveira to name only a few – also cashed their third victory in the competition after travelling to Austria to cruise past Hypo Tirol at the Olympic stadium in Innsbruck and cement their supremacy in Pool F.
Knack ROESELARE is the side that tops the tables in Pool G after their sensational home victory from this past Tuesday over Poland’s Zaksa KEDZIERZYN-KOZLE, the team that had finished last year’s edition in fourth place. Knack head coach Emile Rousseaux was evidently delighted with what his players have accomplished so far: “My players keep surprising me” he said after the home victory over Zaksa. “It is my job to prepare the game as good as possible from a tactical point of view but my players eventually decide about the outcome of the match. They did a great job tonight and I am very proud of them.”
For further information visit www.cev.lu
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Undefeated Marek claims third Bulgarian title in a row
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- VakifBank achieves spectacular U-turn in Teledunya Super Cup final
- Halkbank perseveres against Fenerbahce to win Teledunya Super Cup for men
- Rosario wins the women’s Cup of Portugal
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Coaching staff for age group national teams meet in Argentina
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Brayelin Martínez caps outstanding year with honors from ACD
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Izmir gets ready for men's and women's Final Four in the Teledunya Super Cup
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Underdogs hope to pull off surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- Nakhonratchasima VC carrying Thai hopes in Asian Women's Club Championship
- Lienviet Post Bank to represent Vietnam in Women's Asian Club Championship
- Former Dutch women’s coach passes away aged 70
- FIVB Men’s World Championship ticket sales begin Monday
- Bethania scores 55 leading GS Caltex to the crown
- Board backs key World Championships
- Iran’s preparations for big year underway in Tehran
- Puerto Rican Hernandez to be enshrined by EIVA
- Peruvian volleyball joins in World Autism Awareness Day
- De la Cruz erupts with 54 points in GS Caltex victory
- Julio Velasco holds first training session with men's national team of Argentina
- Argentina's girls' youth team working hard in Los Toldos
- Molico Osasco receive Women's Club World Championship wild card
- Ocasio fires 47 points in IBK victory, Bethania had 50 in the loss
- Russia wins three of the European Cups, Fenerbahce - two
- Ten teams to contest Asian Women's Club Championship after Turkmenistan withdrawal
- Tianjin has eye on Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship title
- FIVB Club World Championship qualifiers move closer to completion
- Horseed take national volleyball championship title of Somalia
- China's men’s national team begin training for 2014 season!
- Esperance book Club World Championship ticket with 4th African title
- FAP finish ninth at Men's African Club Championship
- Ahly and Esperance fight for Africa's Club World Championship ticket