Six teams stand out in Champions League prelims with three straight victories
Luxembourg, November 8, 2013 – There are six teams with an immaculate record of three victories after the third round of prelim action in the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League – Men was completed on Thursday evening. France’s TOURS VB, Russia’s Belogorie BELGOROD, Italy’s Diatec TRENTINO and Lube Banca Marche MACERATA, as well as Halkbank ANKARA and Knack ROESELARE all top the charts of their respective groups waiting for the competition to resume in early December after the break due to the FIVB World Grand Champions Cup coming up later this month in Japan.
The triple block of Lube Banca Marche MACERATA starring (from left to right) Michele Baranowicz, Marko Podrascanin, and Bartosz Kurek stopping an attack by 2013 FIVB Club World Championship silver medallist Pavel Moroz of Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK |
Russia’s champions Belogorie BELGOROD have simply routed their opponents in Pool B with three straight victories over Noliko MAASEIK, Olympiacos PIRAEUS and – more recently – VK OSTRAVA to leave their mark in the prelims of Europe’s elite competition right from the go. This series of great performances confirms what their mentor Gennady Shipulin had stated shortly before the start of the season, as he stressed the CEV Volleyball Champions League was the main goal he had set for the 2013/2014 campaign of his star-studded team.
France’s TOURS VB followed up on last week’s home victory over Italy’s vice-champions Copra Elior PIACENZA with an away win in Slovenia where the players captained by Czech opposite David Konecny played another superb game to edge hosts ACH Volley LJUBLJANA and cement their leadership in Pool A.
Though their roster has undergone many changes this summer, Diatec TRENTINO still looks very competitive and on Wednesday cruised to a third straight victory as well, this time routing Turkey’s Arkas IZMIR in straight sets at the Atatürk sports hall.
The most anticipated game of the week did actually take place in Italy where Lube Banca Marche MACERATA and the winners of the 2013 edition, Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK, crossed their ways in the third round of play for what Volleyball fans have dubbed the “group of death”, Pool E.
With another solid performance, MACERATA could cruise past another Russian giant – they had already stunned Zenit KAZAN in the first round of play – to keep first place in a group where the battle for a spot in the Playoffs 12 is expected to be very close up to the end of the prelims.
Halkbank ANKARA and their many stars – Osmany Juantorena, Matey Kaziyski and Raphael Vieira de Oliveira to name only a few – also cashed their third victory in the competition after travelling to Austria to cruise past Hypo Tirol at the Olympic stadium in Innsbruck and cement their supremacy in Pool F.
Knack ROESELARE is the side that tops the tables in Pool G after their sensational home victory from this past Tuesday over Poland’s Zaksa KEDZIERZYN-KOZLE, the team that had finished last year’s edition in fourth place. Knack head coach Emile Rousseaux was evidently delighted with what his players have accomplished so far: “My players keep surprising me” he said after the home victory over Zaksa. “It is my job to prepare the game as good as possible from a tactical point of view but my players eventually decide about the outcome of the match. They did a great job tonight and I am very proud of them.”
For further information visit www.cev.lu
Other FIVB news
- Second round has arrived with promises of more exciting matches
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Fired-up Iran prove too strong for India to claim second win in Incheon
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Las Panteritas prepare for South American Women's Junior Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- Third international Paidar Demir tournament this weekend in Istanbul
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Thailand join China, Japan and Kuwait in quarterfinals of Asian Games men’s volleyball
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Korea and China top groups in Asian Games women's volleyball
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Brazilian coaches on both sidelines without Brazil playing
- Were you at the final?
- Russia stay top of European Ranking while Poland move up to fourth
- Maritza adds well-known names to roster before third edition of Kupa Plovdiv
- Korea, India and Thailand remain unbeaten in Asian Games men’s volleyball
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Eight undefeated teams stand in good position to advance to second round after Day 2
- No second day shocks for tournament favourites
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 2 - As It Happened
- Dutch earn second win with victory against Thailand
- Italy jersey and official World Championship ball given to the Pope
- Re-live the FIVB Men's World Championship on YouTube
- Japan, China, Qatar men continue strong run in Asian Games
- Day 2 promises to be just as exciting for Women's World Championship
- Korea's women crush Thailand, China beat Hong Kong in Asian Games
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 1 - As It Happened
- Poland surge up rankings after gold medal success
- Japan drop points on opening day
- Social Media Wrap-Up - FIVB Men's World Championship
- Kuwait enjoy strong start at 17th Asian Games
- Russia and the returning Gamova out for a hat-trick of titles
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day -1 - As It Happened
- Pool A coaches honored to play in Rome