Budvanska Rivijera and TOURS VB cause major sensations of Champions League second round
Luxembourg, November 1, 2013 - The second round of play in the prelims of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League drew to a close on Thursday and though the heavy favorites confirmed their status, there were nevertheless some surprises as the race for the Playoffs 12 has already started. The men’s competition will continue next week with the third leg whilst the women will have a break and resume their actions in late November.
Montenegro's Budvanska Rivijera BUDVA upset more than 4,000 Polish fans with their away victory over Asseco Resovia RZESZOW in the second round of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League |
Budvanska Rivijera BUDVA and TOURS VB were the sides that upset more decorated opponents on Wednesday. France’s vice-champions delivered a world-class performance to delight more than 2,500 home fans as they beat Italy’s heavyweight Copra Elior PIACENZA at the tie-break to keep an immaculate record of two wins in as many matches in Pool A. Budvanska Rivijera, on the other hand, showed that this season they are a force to be reckoned with as they followed on their home victory from last week over Jihostroj CESKE BUDEJOVICE playing a superb game in Poland to edge the local heroes of Asseco Resovia RZESZOW at the tie-break as well.
There are six more teams who have a perfect record of two wins so far, with Russia’s standout Belogorie BELGOROD, Italy’s Diatec TRENTINO and Lube Banca Marche MACERATA, as well as Turkey’s star-studded team Halkbank ANKARA, Knack ROESELARE and Zaksa KEDZIERZYN-KOZLE all with two victories to their credit. Belogorie did show no mercy for Greece’s Olympiacos PIRAEUS with another straight victory while TRENTINO routed Swiss rookies Energy Investments LUGANO in consecutive scores as well. MACERATA still has not conceded any set to their opponents for the Italians downed Posojilnica AICH/DOB 3:0 to follow on their home victory over Zenit KAZAN. Halkbank ANKARA had to fight hard in their away game in Romania but eventually edged Tomis CONSTANTA 3:1 to confirm their status as contender for the crown that will be at stake in March 2014.
In what was the most anticipated match of the second round, starring last year’s bronze and gold medalists, Zenit KAZAN beat compatriots and archrivals Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK 3:1 to get back on track after their shocking straight-set defeat to MACERATA.
The women’s competition has seen less surprises and the hierarchy has so far been respected with eight teams with an unblemished record of two wins in as many matches, including last year’s silver medalists Rabita BAKU and world champions VakifBank ISTANBUL who – with their home victory over Dinamo Romprest BUCURESTI – prolonged their positive streak to 56 matches. Dinamo KAZAN, RC CANNES, Atom Trefl SOPOT, Eczacibasi VitrA ISTANBUL all have claimed two wins each so far with that same feat achieved by two rookies who are debuting this year in Europe’s elite club competition, Igtisadchi BAKU and Italy’s Prosecco Doc-Imoco CONEGLIANO that on Tuesday won the Italian derby with 2013 bronze medalists Unendo Yamamay BUSTO ARSIZIO. Igtisadchi BAKU – one of three teams representing Azerbaijan in the competition – edged Dinamo MOSCOW to show they also are a force to be reckoned with this year.
Three more rookies – Italy’s RebecchiNMeccanica PIACENZA, Russia’s Omichka OMSK REGION and Stiinta BACAU of Romania – had something special to celebrate over the last days for they all won their respective home debut in the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League.
For further information visit www.cev.lu
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend