Israel and Switzerland keep on winning in Ra’anana
Ra’anana, Israel, October 3, 2013 – On Thursday hosts Israel and Switzerland claimed their second straight victory at the second round qualifier taking place in Ra’anana and where three spots are at stake to make it to the third and last stage of the qualification process for next year’s FIVB Women’s Volleyball World Championship coming up in early January 2014.
The players of Israel national team celebrate their second consecutive victory at the World Champs qualifier taking place from Wednesday through Sunday in Ra'anana |
Israel edged Montenegro in straight sets (25-15, 25-19, and 25-20) while Switzerland needed a tie-break for a come-from-behind victory over Hungary (23-25, 25-19, 19-25, 25-19, and 15-9). In the other match of the day, after losing to Switzerland on Wednesday, Greece got back on track routing Latvia in straight sets (25-23, 25-20, and 25-21) to keep alive their chances to finish among the top three of the tournament.
After winning their opening matches on Wednesday, Hungary and Switzerland were supposed to contribute a very exciting game for the second round of play at Metrowest Sports Palace and they eventually lived up to the expectations. The Swiss players started out strong (14:9) but Hungary was able to claw back and eventually pocketed the first set after a close final rush (25-23). In the second set Switzerland found their best play and anchored by their opposite Mandy Wigger – who scored 7 points in this section of the game – cruised to a comfortable 25-19 to draw level in sets. Hungary responded in the third set bringing it home with the same score before the course of the game changed once more in the fourth where it was Switzerland to have the upper hand, once again at 25-19.
Switzerland kept the winning momentum also in the tie-break going up 8:4 as teams changed sides of the court and did not look back anymore to cash their second victory (15-9) in the tournament with Wigger chipping in with a massive tally of 26 points.
After losing to Hungary on Wednesday, Greece needed to score a victory in the match with Latvia to keep alive their hopes to make it to the third and last round of the World Champs qualification and they eventually accomplished that mission. Greece immediately set the pace of the game (11:8) and even though Latvia fought their way back to 15 all and once more at 23:23, Greece was able to keep cool and seize the opening set at 25-23. After another close race up to 17 all, Greece broke away in the score to cash also the second set (25-20) and everything went easy in the third (25-21) as Evangelia Chantava paced the winning side with 13 points. Lana Sorokina top scored for Latvia with 11.
Israel rounded out the program by taking on Montenegro and the home heroines stormed out to a terrific 8:2 lead in the first set to immediately set the tone of the game. After such start, everything went easy for Israel that had a very reassuring margin by the second technical time-out (16:7) and did not slow down to cash the final 25-15. Anna Velikiy called for the first mandatory stop in the second set as the score stood at 8:5 for Israel and even though Montenegro had stabilized a bit their play in defense, the hosts did not look back and sealed the provisional 2:0 after seizing set 2 with the score of 25-19.
In the third set Montenegro surprised the hosts taking a 3:2 early lead and this time the match was a bit closer with the Israelis leading the way by two points halfway through the set (15:13). Anna Velikiy killed another spike to make it 20:18 for Israel and the home favorites finally pocketed their second win in the tournament to take another three points and top the standing of the group with six points after two rounds. Montenegro’s Tatjana Bokan top scored in this match with 17 points while Velikiy ended the game with 15 for Israel; team captain Moran Zur added another 10 to the count of the winning side.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five