Six women's & eight men's teams now qualified for 2014 Volleyball World Championships
Switzerland, September 23, 2013 – The fourth and final AVC vacancy for the 2014
Men’s World Championship in Poland was taken by China this weekend, while
Brazil took the first of two places available to the CSV for the 2014 Women’s
The three-day FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship Poland 2014 Asia Pool C
qualifier, saw China
defeat India 3-0 (25-17, 25-18, 25-17) to take their place alongside
Australia, Iran and Korea (winners of Pool A, B and D respectively) at next
year's event. In addition to these four AVC countries, and hosts Poland, the CSV's Argentina, Brazil and Venezuela have also qualified for the tournament, bringing the total number of qualified countries to eight. There are still 16 places to be determined over the course of the coming year.
were guaranteed a place at the 2014 FIVB Women’s World Championships in Italy after
they won their 18th Women’s South American Championship title after beating
Venezuela in straight sets 3-0 (25-20, 25-20, 25-17) in an hour and 18 minutes. Along with hosts Italy and fellow CEV members Germany and Russia, the two AVC countries that have qualified for the Championship are Japan and Thailand. With last weekend's qualifiers completed, six out of the 24 countries who will take part in the Championship have now been decided.
Argentina, Peru, Colombia
and Venezuela will compete for the second CSV vacancy at the 2014 Women's World
Championship when they take part in the FIVB Volleyball Women's World
Championship Italy 2014 CSV Qualification Tournament that will take place from
October 24 to 27 in Argentina.
France, Belgium and Germany moved to the quarterfinal phase of the European Men’s
Continental Championships, after finishing at the top of their pools this past
weekend. Two countries from the CEV will qualify for the 2014 Men’s World
Championship in Poland through the 2013 Men’s Volleyball European Championship which
started last Friday in Denmark and Poland. The tournament will end on September
2014 FIVB WOMEN’S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
Brazil, Thailand, Japan, Russia and Germany as well as hosts Italy have
secured their place in the 2014 FIVB Women’s World Championships, thus far.
The North, Central America and Caribbean Volleyball Confederation (NORCECA)
will be the last Confederation to qualify all their teams for the 2014 Women’s
FIVB World Championships. The final round of the qualification tournaments will
occur from May 21 to June 30, where five teams will qualify. The last team will
qualify during the NORCECA Continental Playoff, from July 2 to 7, 2014.
In Asian qualifying, 10 teams are divided into two pools of five teams for
two separate qualifying tournaments. The two best ranked teams in each pool
(total four teams) advance to the FIVB World Championships. Thailand and Japan
are now qualified for the FIVB Women's World Championship Italy 2014 after
finishing first and second in Pool A on September 8. China, Korea, Kazakhstan,
New Zealand, India will fight for the final two spots in Pool B, which takes
place from September 27 to October 1 in China.
Africa will begin its second round of qualifications featuring 28 countries in
October, although the two teams that will advance to the FIVB Women's World
Championship Italy 2014 won’t be known until after the confederation’s final
round in January 2014.
In addition to Russia and Germany, who qualified through the 2013 CEV Women’s
Volleyball European Championship, and host country Italy, the seven remaining
spots for the 2014 FIVB World Championships will be confirmed during the final
round of confederation qualifiers in early January 2014.
As the top two teams in the 2013 CEV Women’s Volleyball European Championship,
Russia and Germany have secured their spot at the 2014 FIVB Volleyball Women’s
As the winner of the South American Women's Championship in Peru, which
concluded on Sunday, Brazil has qualified for both the World Grand Championship
Cup and the 2014 FIVB World Championships. The winner of the 2014 Women's World
Championship Qualification Tournament scheduled to take place from 24 to 27
October will also qualify for the FIVB Women's World Championship Italy 2014.
2014 FIVB MEN’S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
Finals hosts Poland, three-time defending champions Brazil, Argentina,
Venezuela, Iran and Australia, Korea are already confirmed for the 2014 FIVB
Men’s World Championships, thus far.
The North, Central America and Caribbean Volleyball Confederation (NORCECA)
will be the last Confederation to qualify all their teams for the 2014 Men’s
FIVB World Championships. The third round of the qualification tournaments will
occur from May 21 to June 30, 2014 where the winners from each of the four
Pools will qualify for the FIVB World Championships. The four silver-medal
winners will then compete in the NORCECA Continental Cup Playoff from July 9 to
14, 2014 in hopes of securing the final FIVB World Championship spot.
Iran won Pool B of the Asian Men’s Final Qualification Tournament on September
13 for their ticket to the FIVB Men's World Championship Poland 2014, joining
Australia (Pool A) and Korea (Pool D), who have already qualified. China
finished top of Pool Con September 22 to be the last Asian team to qualify for
the FIVB Men's World Championship Poland 2014.
Twenty-eight African teams will have their chance to qualify for the FIVB World
Championships during their qualification tournaments, which resume in October.
The second round of tournaments will take place in October and November, and
the final round takes place in January 2014. The three Pool winners of the
third round will move on to the FIVB World Championships.
South American men have one more vacancy for the FIVB Men's World Championship
Poland 2014 than the women. Brazil and Argentina qualified by finishing first
and second respectively at the South America Continental Championship on August
12. Venezuela was the winner of the subsequent qualification tournament which
concluded on September 15.
Two countries will qualify through the 2013 CEV Men’s Volleyball European
Championship that started on September 20 and will run until September 29. The
five pool winners and the best second placed team from the third round of
qualifiers (January 3-5) will also qualify for the FIVB World Championships.
Host county Poland fills the final spot.
Other FIVB news
- “Iron Hammer” takes heart from encouraging new start
- Grankin inducted into elite Sergey Tetyukhin Club
- MVP award crowns Wlazly's persistence
- Qatar, Taipei complete final eight at Asian U20 champs
- Japan, Thailand bag crucial wins to reach Asian U20 quarterfinals
- Peru win gold medal at U20 Final Four Cup
- Tomis sets up U13 department in neighbouring city of Tulcea
- Swedish women, Norwegian men take gold at U19 NEVZA Championships
- "Unpredictable" World Championship impresses Zorzi
- Japan beat hosts Thailand to retain Asian Girls’ U17 crown
- China show dominance on third day of Asian U20 champs
- Four teams bettered previous bests at Italy 2014
- Peru to meet Argentina for the gold at U20 Final Four
- China and Korea clash top of agenda on day 3 of Asian U20 Championships
- Japan, hosts Thailand set up final showdown in Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru overcome Cuba to stay undefeated at U20 Cup
- Hosts Thailand up against Korea, Japan set cup 2012 final rematch with China in semi-finals of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru and Dominican Republic open with victories
- MVP Hill shares World Championship glory
- Hong Kong outclass India in playoff of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Watch: Hill, Zeng lead teams during impressive FIVB Women's WCH final
- Peru host U20 Final Four Gatorade Cup
- Japan aim to make it three in a row at 17th Asian Men's U20 Championship
- Volleyball Tracking System offers new insight for fans
- Hosts Thailand stun world champions China in Asian Girls’ U17 playoffs
- Russia retain first place in European women's ranking
- Panoramic view provides unique souvenir of Women's World Championship final in Milan
- Sixth edition of Denitza Krivova Memorial held in France
- China, Japan, Korea, Thailand send rivals packing at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Hosts Thailand, Japan, China, Korea top their pools at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- President Medina congratulates Dominican women’s team
- World champions USA claim top spot in women's ranking
- Brazil win South American U22 Championship
- Chinese Taipei suffer first loss at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- FIVB selects Rosetta Stone to enhance communication among athletes and referees
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Final Day - As It Happened
- USA's Kim Hill honoured with World Championship MVP award
- Golden moment closes World Championship
- USA win first World Championship title, China and Brazil complete the podium
- Cuba top U23 Men’s Pan Am Cup
- Who will be the Most Valuable Player at the 2014 World Championship?
- Coaches Lang Ping and Kiraly, star players 30 years ago, face off in title match
- More history to be decided in Finals
- USA and China to meet in World Championship final
- USA and China to battle for gold at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 19 - As It Happened
- Strong start for competition favourites at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship in Thailand
- Volleyball and art collide for a great cause in Milan
- Volleyball celebrates 50 years at the Olympics
- Pressure mounts in Milan as semifinals start Saturday