Six women's & eight men's teams now qualified for 2014 Volleyball World Championships
Switzerland, September 23, 2013 – The fourth and final AVC vacancy for the 2014
Men’s World Championship in Poland was taken by China this weekend, while
Brazil took the first of two places available to the CSV for the 2014 Women’s
The three-day FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship Poland 2014 Asia Pool C
qualifier, saw China
defeat India 3-0 (25-17, 25-18, 25-17) to take their place alongside
Australia, Iran and Korea (winners of Pool A, B and D respectively) at next
year's event. In addition to these four AVC countries, and hosts Poland, the CSV's Argentina, Brazil and Venezuela have also qualified for the tournament, bringing the total number of qualified countries to eight. There are still 16 places to be determined over the course of the coming year.
were guaranteed a place at the 2014 FIVB Women’s World Championships in Italy after
they won their 18th Women’s South American Championship title after beating
Venezuela in straight sets 3-0 (25-20, 25-20, 25-17) in an hour and 18 minutes. Along with hosts Italy and fellow CEV members Germany and Russia, the two AVC countries that have qualified for the Championship are Japan and Thailand. With last weekend's qualifiers completed, six out of the 24 countries who will take part in the Championship have now been decided.
Argentina, Peru, Colombia
and Venezuela will compete for the second CSV vacancy at the 2014 Women's World
Championship when they take part in the FIVB Volleyball Women's World
Championship Italy 2014 CSV Qualification Tournament that will take place from
October 24 to 27 in Argentina.
France, Belgium and Germany moved to the quarterfinal phase of the European Men’s
Continental Championships, after finishing at the top of their pools this past
weekend. Two countries from the CEV will qualify for the 2014 Men’s World
Championship in Poland through the 2013 Men’s Volleyball European Championship which
started last Friday in Denmark and Poland. The tournament will end on September
2014 FIVB WOMEN’S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
Brazil, Thailand, Japan, Russia and Germany as well as hosts Italy have
secured their place in the 2014 FIVB Women’s World Championships, thus far.
The North, Central America and Caribbean Volleyball Confederation (NORCECA)
will be the last Confederation to qualify all their teams for the 2014 Women’s
FIVB World Championships. The final round of the qualification tournaments will
occur from May 21 to June 30, where five teams will qualify. The last team will
qualify during the NORCECA Continental Playoff, from July 2 to 7, 2014.
In Asian qualifying, 10 teams are divided into two pools of five teams for
two separate qualifying tournaments. The two best ranked teams in each pool
(total four teams) advance to the FIVB World Championships. Thailand and Japan
are now qualified for the FIVB Women's World Championship Italy 2014 after
finishing first and second in Pool A on September 8. China, Korea, Kazakhstan,
New Zealand, India will fight for the final two spots in Pool B, which takes
place from September 27 to October 1 in China.
Africa will begin its second round of qualifications featuring 28 countries in
October, although the two teams that will advance to the FIVB Women's World
Championship Italy 2014 won’t be known until after the confederation’s final
round in January 2014.
In addition to Russia and Germany, who qualified through the 2013 CEV Women’s
Volleyball European Championship, and host country Italy, the seven remaining
spots for the 2014 FIVB World Championships will be confirmed during the final
round of confederation qualifiers in early January 2014.
As the top two teams in the 2013 CEV Women’s Volleyball European Championship,
Russia and Germany have secured their spot at the 2014 FIVB Volleyball Women’s
As the winner of the South American Women's Championship in Peru, which
concluded on Sunday, Brazil has qualified for both the World Grand Championship
Cup and the 2014 FIVB World Championships. The winner of the 2014 Women's World
Championship Qualification Tournament scheduled to take place from 24 to 27
October will also qualify for the FIVB Women's World Championship Italy 2014.
2014 FIVB MEN’S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
Finals hosts Poland, three-time defending champions Brazil, Argentina,
Venezuela, Iran and Australia, Korea are already confirmed for the 2014 FIVB
Men’s World Championships, thus far.
The North, Central America and Caribbean Volleyball Confederation (NORCECA)
will be the last Confederation to qualify all their teams for the 2014 Men’s
FIVB World Championships. The third round of the qualification tournaments will
occur from May 21 to June 30, 2014 where the winners from each of the four
Pools will qualify for the FIVB World Championships. The four silver-medal
winners will then compete in the NORCECA Continental Cup Playoff from July 9 to
14, 2014 in hopes of securing the final FIVB World Championship spot.
Iran won Pool B of the Asian Men’s Final Qualification Tournament on September
13 for their ticket to the FIVB Men's World Championship Poland 2014, joining
Australia (Pool A) and Korea (Pool D), who have already qualified. China
finished top of Pool Con September 22 to be the last Asian team to qualify for
the FIVB Men's World Championship Poland 2014.
Twenty-eight African teams will have their chance to qualify for the FIVB World
Championships during their qualification tournaments, which resume in October.
The second round of tournaments will take place in October and November, and
the final round takes place in January 2014. The three Pool winners of the
third round will move on to the FIVB World Championships.
South American men have one more vacancy for the FIVB Men's World Championship
Poland 2014 than the women. Brazil and Argentina qualified by finishing first
and second respectively at the South America Continental Championship on August
12. Venezuela was the winner of the subsequent qualification tournament which
concluded on September 15.
Two countries will qualify through the 2013 CEV Men’s Volleyball European
Championship that started on September 20 and will run until September 29. The
five pool winners and the best second placed team from the third round of
qualifiers (January 3-5) will also qualify for the FIVB World Championships.
Host county Poland fills the final spot.
Other FIVB news
- Bidding process opened for 2017 Men's Club World Championship
- Iran, Japan, China, Chinese Taipei reach AVC Cup semifinals
- 2017 World League Finals bidding process launched
- Angela Leyva in rising orbit ahead of 2017 World Grand Prix Group 2
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Mauritian Volleyball League sees two first-time champions
- Japan, Thailand top pools at AVC Cup for Women
- Kenia Carcaces back at Volero Zürich
- Giovane Gavio happy to be coaching Brazil U-21 team
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- President Graça hails successful World Grand Prix Finals in Thailand
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- We must continue our exceptional growth - President Graça
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- Argentina and Cuba to play for gold in Men's U23 Pan Am Cup
- Semifinals set in Men’s U23 Pan American Cup
- Volleyball Australia prepares for Tokyo 2020 Olympic cycle
- FIVB survey translated into five languages
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Dominican Republic win NORCECA U18 title in dramatic fashion
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Argentina, Cuba get direct access to Men's U23 Pan Am Cup semifinals
- Chile, Cuba and Colombia get solid victories at Men's U23 Pan Am Cup
- A month after opening, Brazil still bask in Rio 2016 gold glory
- One month after first serve, memories of Rio still stay strong
- Men's U23 Pan Am Cup opens third edition in Guanajuato
- New Tech: The most eagle-eyed coaches at Rio 2016
- Russia women win EuroVolley U19 to earn world champs spot
- Kim Yeon-koung learning lessons from Rio
- Brazil victorious in front of more than 30,000 fans as Serginho says farewell
- Zhu Ting nominated for Sportswoman of the Year Award
- 2018 World Championship qualification process continues this weekend
- Clay Stanley latest of USA's 2008 golden boys to retire
- 2016 Men's Club World Championship match schedule confirmed