Brazil announce 14-player squad for Women's South American Championship
Rio de Janeiro, September 4, 2013 – Brazil coach Jose Roberto Guimarães on Wednesday announced a 14-strong roster for the upcoming South American Championship (September 16-22) in Peru.
Brazil celebrate their World Grand Prix win on September 1|
The squad includes a return for setter Fabiola de Sousa, who didn’t make the trip to Sapporo, Japan, where Brazil collected a record nonth FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix last Sunday. Outside hitter Natália Zilio was also named to the squad.
The squad consists of setters Dani Lins and Fabiola de Sousa; opposites Sheilla Castro and Monique Pavão; outside hitters Fernanda Garay, Natália Zilio, Michelle Pavão and Gabriela Guimarães; middle blockers Thaísa Daher de Menezes, Fabiana Claudino, Juciely Barreto and Adenízia Silva; and liberos Fabi and Camilla Brait.
This will be the 30th edition of the South American Championship. The last was held in 2011 in Lima, Peru, and Brazil emerged as champions for the ninth straight time. Brazil have competed in the South American Championship 28 times and have won the gold medal 17 times and the silver 11 times.
The winner of the South American Championship will qualify for the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014 as well as this year's World Grand Champions Cup from November 12 to 17.
The World Grand Champions Cup is a quadrennial round-robin competition for men and women. The last edition of the tournament was in 2009 with Brazil finishing second to Italy who picked up their first ever crown.
The FIVB Volleyball World Grand Champions Cup features a total of six teams per gender with the hosts Japan being joined by the continental winners from Asia, Europe, NORCECA and South America with an additional country selected by the FIVB. Africa do not have an automatic spot in the tournament after finishing the 2012 Olympic Games as the lowest ranked confederation amongst the five.
The calendar for the continental championships is as follows:
Women's Championship - September 13 – 21, 2013 in Ratchaburi and Nakhonpathom, Thailand
Men’s Championship - September 28 - October 6, 2013 in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates
Women's Championship Final Round - September 6 – 14, 2013 in Germany and Switzerland
Men's Championship Final Round - September 20 – 29, 2013 in Denmark and Poland
Women's Championship - September 14 – 22, 2013 in Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Men's Championship - September 21 – 29, 2013 in Langley, Canada
Women's Championship September 16 – 22, 2013 in Peru
The qualification process for the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship Italy 2014 continues across the four other confederations with continental qualification tournaments. South America will be the first confederation to confirm teams at the quadrennial tournament via its continental championship in September.
Europe is the only other confederation to offer tickets (2) to the FIVB Volleyball World Championships via their continental championships. The top two teams, not already qualified via the continental qualification tournaments to be held in 2014, will qualify.
For more details on the FIVB World Championship qualification tournaments click here
Other FIVB news
- “Iron Hammer” takes heart from encouraging new start
- Grankin inducted into elite Sergey Tetyukhin Club
- MVP award crowns Wlazly's persistence
- Qatar, Taipei complete final eight at Asian U20 champs
- Japan, Thailand bag crucial wins to reach Asian U20 quarterfinals
- Peru win gold medal at U20 Final Four Cup
- Tomis sets up U13 department in neighbouring city of Tulcea
- Swedish women, Norwegian men take gold at U19 NEVZA Championships
- "Unpredictable" World Championship impresses Zorzi
- Japan beat hosts Thailand to retain Asian Girls’ U17 crown
- China show dominance on third day of Asian U20 champs
- Four teams bettered previous bests at Italy 2014
- Peru to meet Argentina for the gold at U20 Final Four
- China and Korea clash top of agenda on day 3 of Asian U20 Championships
- Japan, hosts Thailand set up final showdown in Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru overcome Cuba to stay undefeated at U20 Cup
- Hosts Thailand up against Korea, Japan set cup 2012 final rematch with China in semi-finals of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru and Dominican Republic open with victories
- MVP Hill shares World Championship glory
- Hong Kong outclass India in playoff of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Watch: Hill, Zeng lead teams during impressive FIVB Women's WCH final
- Peru host U20 Final Four Gatorade Cup
- Japan aim to make it three in a row at 17th Asian Men's U20 Championship
- Volleyball Tracking System offers new insight for fans
- Hosts Thailand stun world champions China in Asian Girls’ U17 playoffs
- Russia retain first place in European women's ranking
- Panoramic view provides unique souvenir of Women's World Championship final in Milan
- Sixth edition of Denitza Krivova Memorial held in France
- China, Japan, Korea, Thailand send rivals packing at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Hosts Thailand, Japan, China, Korea top their pools at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- President Medina congratulates Dominican women’s team
- World champions USA claim top spot in women's ranking
- Brazil win South American U22 Championship
- Chinese Taipei suffer first loss at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- FIVB selects Rosetta Stone to enhance communication among athletes and referees
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Final Day - As It Happened
- USA's Kim Hill honoured with World Championship MVP award
- Golden moment closes World Championship
- USA win first World Championship title, China and Brazil complete the podium
- Cuba top U23 Men’s Pan Am Cup
- Who will be the Most Valuable Player at the 2014 World Championship?
- Coaches Lang Ping and Kiraly, star players 30 years ago, face off in title match
- More history to be decided in Finals
- USA and China to meet in World Championship final
- USA and China to battle for gold at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 19 - As It Happened
- Strong start for competition favourites at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship in Thailand
- Volleyball and art collide for a great cause in Milan
- Volleyball celebrates 50 years at the Olympics
- Pressure mounts in Milan as semifinals start Saturday