Brazil announce 14-player squad for Women's South American Championship
Rio de Janeiro, September 4, 2013 – Brazil coach Jose Roberto Guimarães on Wednesday announced a 14-strong roster for the upcoming South American Championship (September 16-22) in Peru.
Brazil celebrate their World Grand Prix win on September 1|
The squad includes a return for setter Fabiola de Sousa, who didn’t make the trip to Sapporo, Japan, where Brazil collected a record nonth FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix last Sunday. Outside hitter Natália Zilio was also named to the squad.
The squad consists of setters Dani Lins and Fabiola de Sousa; opposites Sheilla Castro and Monique Pavão; outside hitters Fernanda Garay, Natália Zilio, Michelle Pavão and Gabriela Guimarães; middle blockers Thaísa Daher de Menezes, Fabiana Claudino, Juciely Barreto and Adenízia Silva; and liberos Fabi and Camilla Brait.
This will be the 30th edition of the South American Championship. The last was held in 2011 in Lima, Peru, and Brazil emerged as champions for the ninth straight time. Brazil have competed in the South American Championship 28 times and have won the gold medal 17 times and the silver 11 times.
The winner of the South American Championship will qualify for the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014 as well as this year's World Grand Champions Cup from November 12 to 17.
The World Grand Champions Cup is a quadrennial round-robin competition for men and women. The last edition of the tournament was in 2009 with Brazil finishing second to Italy who picked up their first ever crown.
The FIVB Volleyball World Grand Champions Cup features a total of six teams per gender with the hosts Japan being joined by the continental winners from Asia, Europe, NORCECA and South America with an additional country selected by the FIVB. Africa do not have an automatic spot in the tournament after finishing the 2012 Olympic Games as the lowest ranked confederation amongst the five.
The calendar for the continental championships is as follows:
Women's Championship - September 13 – 21, 2013 in Ratchaburi and Nakhonpathom, Thailand
Men’s Championship - September 28 - October 6, 2013 in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates
Women's Championship Final Round - September 6 – 14, 2013 in Germany and Switzerland
Men's Championship Final Round - September 20 – 29, 2013 in Denmark and Poland
Women's Championship - September 14 – 22, 2013 in Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Men's Championship - September 21 – 29, 2013 in Langley, Canada
Women's Championship September 16 – 22, 2013 in Peru
The qualification process for the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship Italy 2014 continues across the four other confederations with continental qualification tournaments. South America will be the first confederation to confirm teams at the quadrennial tournament via its continental championship in September.
Europe is the only other confederation to offer tickets (2) to the FIVB Volleyball World Championships via their continental championships. The top two teams, not already qualified via the continental qualification tournaments to be held in 2014, will qualify.
For more details on the FIVB World Championship qualification tournaments click here
Other FIVB news
- Favourite teams start victorious at Women's African Club Championship
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 16 clubs compete for African queen's title
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Tenth national title for Crvena Zvezda in Serbia
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Undefeated Marek claims third Bulgarian title in a row
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- VakifBank achieves spectacular U-turn in Teledunya Super Cup final
- Halkbank perseveres against Fenerbahce to win Teledunya Super Cup for men
- Belarus’ national leagues enter deciding stage
- Rosario wins the women’s Cup of Portugal
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Coaching staff for age group national teams meet in Argentina
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Brayelin Martínez caps outstanding year with honors from ACD
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Izmir gets ready for men's and women's Final Four in the Teledunya Super Cup
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Underdogs hope to pull off surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- Nakhonratchasima VC carrying Thai hopes in Asian Women's Club Championship
- Lienviet Post Bank to represent Vietnam in Women's Asian Club Championship
- Former Dutch women’s coach passes away aged 70
- FIVB Men’s World Championship ticket sales begin Monday
- Bethania scores 55 leading GS Caltex to the crown
- Board backs key World Championships
- Iran’s preparations for big year underway in Tehran
- Puerto Rican Hernandez to be enshrined by EIVA
- Peruvian volleyball joins in World Autism Awareness Day
- De la Cruz erupts with 54 points in GS Caltex victory