Brazil announce 14-player squad for Women's South American Championship
Rio de Janeiro, September 4, 2013 – Brazil coach Jose Roberto Guimarães on Wednesday announced a 14-strong roster for the upcoming South American Championship (September 16-22) in Peru.
Brazil celebrate their World Grand Prix win on September 1|
The squad includes a return for setter Fabiola de Sousa, who didn’t make the trip to Sapporo, Japan, where Brazil collected a record nonth FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix last Sunday. Outside hitter Natália Zilio was also named to the squad.
The squad consists of setters Dani Lins and Fabiola de Sousa; opposites Sheilla Castro and Monique Pavão; outside hitters Fernanda Garay, Natália Zilio, Michelle Pavão and Gabriela Guimarães; middle blockers Thaísa Daher de Menezes, Fabiana Claudino, Juciely Barreto and Adenízia Silva; and liberos Fabi and Camilla Brait.
This will be the 30th edition of the South American Championship. The last was held in 2011 in Lima, Peru, and Brazil emerged as champions for the ninth straight time. Brazil have competed in the South American Championship 28 times and have won the gold medal 17 times and the silver 11 times.
The winner of the South American Championship will qualify for the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014 as well as this year's World Grand Champions Cup from November 12 to 17.
The World Grand Champions Cup is a quadrennial round-robin competition for men and women. The last edition of the tournament was in 2009 with Brazil finishing second to Italy who picked up their first ever crown.
The FIVB Volleyball World Grand Champions Cup features a total of six teams per gender with the hosts Japan being joined by the continental winners from Asia, Europe, NORCECA and South America with an additional country selected by the FIVB. Africa do not have an automatic spot in the tournament after finishing the 2012 Olympic Games as the lowest ranked confederation amongst the five.
The calendar for the continental championships is as follows:
Women's Championship - September 13 – 21, 2013 in Ratchaburi and Nakhonpathom, Thailand
Men’s Championship - September 28 - October 6, 2013 in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates
Women's Championship Final Round - September 6 – 14, 2013 in Germany and Switzerland
Men's Championship Final Round - September 20 – 29, 2013 in Denmark and Poland
Women's Championship - September 14 – 22, 2013 in Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Men's Championship - September 21 – 29, 2013 in Langley, Canada
Women's Championship September 16 – 22, 2013 in Peru
The qualification process for the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship Italy 2014 continues across the four other confederations with continental qualification tournaments. South America will be the first confederation to confirm teams at the quadrennial tournament via its continental championship in September.
Europe is the only other confederation to offer tickets (2) to the FIVB Volleyball World Championships via their continental championships. The top two teams, not already qualified via the continental qualification tournaments to be held in 2014, will qualify.
For more details on the FIVB World Championship qualification tournaments click here
Other FIVB news
- Bidding process for 2017 World League Finals launched
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Mauritian Volleyball League sees two first-time champions
- Japan, Thailand top pools at AVC Cup for Women
- Kenia Carcaces back at Volero Zürich
- Giovane Gavio happy to be coaching Brazil U-21 team
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- President Graça hails successful World Grand Prix Finals in Thailand
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- We must continue our exceptional growth - President Graça
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- Argentina and Cuba to play for gold in Men's U23 Pan Am Cup
- Semifinals set in Men’s U23 Pan American Cup
- Volleyball Australia prepares for Tokyo 2020 Olympic cycle
- FIVB survey translated into five languages
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Dominican Republic win NORCECA U18 title in dramatic fashion
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Argentina, Cuba get direct access to Men's U23 Pan Am Cup semifinals
- Chile, Cuba and Colombia get solid victories at Men's U23 Pan Am Cup
- A month after opening, Brazil still bask in Rio 2016 gold glory
- One month after first serve, memories of Rio still stay strong
- Men's U23 Pan Am Cup opens third edition in Guanajuato
- New Tech: The most eagle-eyed coaches at Rio 2016
- Russia women win EuroVolley U19 to earn world champs spot
- Kim Yeon-koung learning lessons from Rio
- Brazil victorious in front of more than 30,000 fans as Serginho says farewell
- Zhu Ting nominated for Sportswoman of the Year Award
- 2018 World Championship qualification process continues this weekend
- Clay Stanley latest of USA's 2008 golden boys to retire
- 2016 Men's Club World Championship match schedule confirmed
- Bank Sarmayeh win Asian Men's Club Championship to secure 2017 World Championship berth
- Sada Cruzeiro and Minas Tênis Clube to host 2016 edition of Men's Club World Championship
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio