Women's World Championship key signing ceremony
Lausanne, Switzerland, August 26, 2013 - A key signing ceremony for the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014 took place at the FIVB headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland on Friday featuring FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° and Italy Volleyball Federation President Carlo Magri.
FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° provided Italy Volleyball Federation President Carlo Magri with a commerative plaque|
President Graça presented Mr Magri with a commerative plaque to mark the occasion which represented a key stepping stone in the organisation of the FIVB's premier event which is held every four years.
The FIVB’s premier event for women’s volleyball will feature 24 teams divided into four pools of six teams for the first round, which starts on September 23, 2014 with hosts Italy placed in Pool A followed by the 11 best world-ranked teams placed in the first, second and third rows starting from Pool B using the serpentine system. The 12 remaining teams will be divided into three groups on the basis of the FIVB world ranking and placed in the fourth, fifth and sixth rows according to a drawing of lots.
The first round of the competition will be a round robin system over five days – three matches per day - with four cities (Rome, Trieste, Bari and Verona) hosting a pool each.
The top four teams of each pool will advance to the second round (in Bari, Trieste, Verona and Modena), where the 16 teams will be split into two pools of eight (top two of Pool A and B, third and fourth of Pool C and Pool D), with the top three of each pool advancing to the third round.
The top three teams from the two second-round pools will advance to the third round with the winners, placed in each pool, while the second and third will be drawn.
The third and final round will consist of a round robin system with the top two teams of each pool advancing to the semifinals before the final takes place in Milan on October 12.
The FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship 2014 represents the first time Italy has hosted the women’s edition of the World Championships having already hosted the men in 2010 and 1978.
Russia are the two-time defending champions after Italy won the title in 2002.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- Australia and Brazil not worried about fatigue
- Australia ready for improved World Grand Prix performance