Women's World Championship key signing ceremony
Lausanne, Switzerland, August 26, 2013 - A key signing ceremony for the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014 took place at the FIVB headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland on Friday featuring FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° and Italy Volleyball Federation President Carlo Magri.
FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° provided Italy Volleyball Federation President Carlo Magri with a commerative plaque|
President Graça presented Mr Magri with a commerative plaque to mark the occasion which represented a key stepping stone in the organisation of the FIVB's premier event which is held every four years.
The FIVB’s premier event for women’s volleyball will feature 24 teams divided into four pools of six teams for the first round, which starts on September 23, 2014 with hosts Italy placed in Pool A followed by the 11 best world-ranked teams placed in the first, second and third rows starting from Pool B using the serpentine system. The 12 remaining teams will be divided into three groups on the basis of the FIVB world ranking and placed in the fourth, fifth and sixth rows according to a drawing of lots.
The first round of the competition will be a round robin system over five days – three matches per day - with four cities (Rome, Trieste, Bari and Verona) hosting a pool each.
The top four teams of each pool will advance to the second round (in Bari, Trieste, Verona and Modena), where the 16 teams will be split into two pools of eight (top two of Pool A and B, third and fourth of Pool C and Pool D), with the top three of each pool advancing to the third round.
The top three teams from the two second-round pools will advance to the third round with the winners, placed in each pool, while the second and third will be drawn.
The third and final round will consist of a round robin system with the top two teams of each pool advancing to the semifinals before the final takes place in Milan on October 12.
The FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship 2014 represents the first time Italy has hosted the women’s edition of the World Championships having already hosted the men in 2010 and 1978.
Russia are the two-time defending champions after Italy won the title in 2002.
Other FIVB news
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 16 clubs compete for African queen's title
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Tenth national title for Crvena Zvezda in Serbia
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Undefeated Marek claims third Bulgarian title in a row
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- VakifBank achieves spectacular U-turn in Teledunya Super Cup final
- Halkbank perseveres against Fenerbahce to win Teledunya Super Cup for men
- Belarus’ national leagues enter deciding stage
- Rosario wins the women’s Cup of Portugal
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Coaching staff for age group national teams meet in Argentina
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Brayelin Martínez caps outstanding year with honors from ACD
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Izmir gets ready for men's and women's Final Four in the Teledunya Super Cup
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Underdogs hope to pull off surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- Nakhonratchasima VC carrying Thai hopes in Asian Women's Club Championship
- Lienviet Post Bank to represent Vietnam in Women's Asian Club Championship
- Former Dutch women’s coach passes away aged 70
- FIVB Men’s World Championship ticket sales begin Monday
- Bethania scores 55 leading GS Caltex to the crown
- Board backs key World Championships
- Iran’s preparations for big year underway in Tehran
- Puerto Rican Hernandez to be enshrined by EIVA
- Peruvian volleyball joins in World Autism Awareness Day
- De la Cruz erupts with 54 points in GS Caltex victory
- Julio Velasco holds first training session with men's national team of Argentina
- Argentina's girls' youth team working hard in Los Toldos