Women's World Championship key signing ceremony
Lausanne, Switzerland, August 26, 2013 - A key signing ceremony for the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014 took place at the FIVB headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland on Friday featuring FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° and Italy Volleyball Federation President Carlo Magri.
FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° provided Italy Volleyball Federation President Carlo Magri with a commerative plaque|
President Graça presented Mr Magri with a commerative plaque to mark the occasion which represented a key stepping stone in the organisation of the FIVB's premier event which is held every four years.
The FIVB’s premier event for women’s volleyball will feature 24 teams divided into four pools of six teams for the first round, which starts on September 23, 2014 with hosts Italy placed in Pool A followed by the 11 best world-ranked teams placed in the first, second and third rows starting from Pool B using the serpentine system. The 12 remaining teams will be divided into three groups on the basis of the FIVB world ranking and placed in the fourth, fifth and sixth rows according to a drawing of lots.
The first round of the competition will be a round robin system over five days – three matches per day - with four cities (Rome, Trieste, Bari and Verona) hosting a pool each.
The top four teams of each pool will advance to the second round (in Bari, Trieste, Verona and Modena), where the 16 teams will be split into two pools of eight (top two of Pool A and B, third and fourth of Pool C and Pool D), with the top three of each pool advancing to the third round.
The top three teams from the two second-round pools will advance to the third round with the winners, placed in each pool, while the second and third will be drawn.
The third and final round will consist of a round robin system with the top two teams of each pool advancing to the semifinals before the final takes place in Milan on October 12.
The FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship 2014 represents the first time Italy has hosted the women’s edition of the World Championships having already hosted the men in 2010 and 1978.
Russia are the two-time defending champions after Italy won the title in 2002.
Other FIVB news
- Andrea Zorzi: Speed is at the heart of modern volleyball
- World League performances reshuffle world ranking
- Algeria to host Women's U18 and U23 African Nations Championships
- Qualification system for 2015 European Games confirmed
- Social Timeline: World League Finals leads to USA gold
- Women’s Club World Championship agreement with Eventcourt confirmed until 2019
- Mexico win final ticket to Italy
- Puerto Rico complete the teams qualified to Poland
- Japan overcome Italy 3-1 in fourth World Grand Prix warm-up
- Team USA Sweeps Cuba to Win NORCECA U19 Gold
- Talking Stats: USA join World League’s multiple gold medal club; Italy win back-to-back bronze
- USA upset Brazil to claim second World League title
- Stats Preview: Brazil, USA set for first-ever meeting in World League final; Italy eye fourth bronze medal
- Talking Stats: USA reach third World League final; Brazil get chance to add more silverware
- Brazil and USA book World League final date
- Volleyball is thrilling a nation, say Italian papers
- Two sets are enough for Turkey to win first European League title
- Stats preview: Iran take first ever meeting with USA; Brazil aim to continue semifinal winning streak
- Top eight confirmed for the 17th Asian Women’s U19 Volleyball Championship
- Talking Stats: Iran guarantee top four finish for the first time; Italy keep clean win-record
- Italian Prime Minister joins President Graca at World League Finals
- Italy v Brazil, USA v Iran in World League Semifinals
- We can be champions, says Amir Ghafour
- FIVB Volleyball World League 2015 formula confirmed
- Iran stand a good chance of qualifying, says Andrea Zorzi
- Talking stats: Iran and Australia in critical, must-win matches to make World League semifinals cut
- Neslihan Demir: Leader, iron lady, flag carrier and mother
- Talking Stats: Brazil end losing streak against Russia; USA recover to record win in World League finals
- Brazil and Italy book semifinal spots on World League Finals Day Two
- We are carrying Brazil's hopes after football failure, says Lucarelli
- Dalhausser and Rosenthal on the hunt for a ‘turkey’ in The Hague
- ‘Brazil have a point to prove’ says Zorzi
- Italy can go all the way on this form, says Zorzi
- The 17th Asian Women's U19 Volleyball Championships open in Taipei
- Brazil renew rivalry with Russia; Australia test mettle on first trip to World League Finals
- 1982: The Soviet Union and China win gold at World Championships
- Talking Stats: Russia overcome five-set losing spell; Italy end losing streak
- Italy and Russia record wins as World League Finals begin
- Turkey one step closer to European League crown
- NORCECA Women’s Playoff gets under way in Trinidad
- Andrea Zorzi: Pavlov and Muserskiy combo will be key for Russia
- 17th Asian Women's U19 Volleyball Championship kicks off in Taipei
- Russia set title defence against Iran; Italy and USA break win-record tie in World League
- Coaches look forward to "great show" in Florence
- Florence all set to host World League Finals
- Kenya name final World Grand Prix team
- Brazil's Wallace relishing start of World League
- The home crowds will help us, says coach Berruto
- Kovac and Iran eye surprise in Italy
- USA win gold at NORCECA U-20 Women’s