Special tribute to 1968 Mexican Olympic teams at Men’s Pan Am Cup
Mexico City, Mexico, August 19, 2013 - Twenty-two years after the last international volleyball competition, action returned to Mexico City. The “Juan de la Barrera Olympic Gymnasium” celebrated the opening of the Pan American Cup with a special ceremony.
The teams at the Pan Am Cup with the "class of 68" during the opening ceremony on Monday|
Members of Men’s and Women’s Mexican Olympic teams were honoured before Mexico’s opening match against Trinidad and Tobago. The tribute ceremony was so special for those who played at the 1968 Games on this same court 45 years ago.
Players like the legendary Blanca Garcia, Patricia Nava, Isabel Nogueira, Maria del Carmen Rodriguez, Rogelia Romo, Gloria Casales and Gloria Inzua, were among members of the team that was coached by Macario Gonzalez.
Some other coaches like Gabriel Cherebetiu were also present, while the members of the Men’s team who played at that time who attended to the ceremony were Eduardo Sixtos and Juan Manuel Duran.
Some other members of the 1968 teams who did not attend were remembered like
Esperanza Alicia Cárdenas and Trinidad Macías, who both have passed away as well as Eduardo Jiménez and José Luis Martell García.
The Men’s Nartional team on 1968 was conformed by Carlos Aguirre Beltrán, Eduardo Sixtos, Juan Manuel Duran Gutiérrez, Cesar Osuna Brambila, José Antonio Barbet Cabrera, Leopoldo Reyna Romo, Francisco González Hernández and Jesús Loya.
On behalf of Mexico City Mayor, Miguel Mancera, the Mexico City Sport Institute Director, Horacio de la Vega was present at the opening ceremony as well as Norceca and FIVB Executive Vice President Saul Castro Verdugo; Norceca Executive Director Nelson Ramírez and Mexican Volleyball Federation President, Jesus Perales.
Other FIVB news
- Honda presents FIVB with new CR-V
- Teams travel from Sendai and Okayama to Nagoya
- VOTE: Rio 2016 dreams on the line
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 8
- USA, Russia, China, Serbia keep 7-1 win-loss cards on Day 8
- Six teams confirmed for Men's Club World Championship
- USA whitewash Cuba 3-0 to lead World Cup title race
- Favourites gear up for Men's World Cup
- U18 world champion Egonu an ambassador for the new Italy
- Canada coach Barrett: 'We are happy to arrive early'
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 7
- Serbia score huge upset on Russia on World Cup Day 7
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 6
- Brazil claim final USAV Cup win
- Russia and USA stay on top at start of World Cup second round
- Win with the #VabochanChallenge
- Teams expect tough competition in Sendai
- Cuba, Italy and Russia book semifinal tickets at Men's U23 World Championship
- Blengini and Juantorena claim win in run-up to World Cup
- Expectations rise as U21 World Championship nears
- Cuban captain says volleyball made dream come true
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 5
- Russia top World Cup first round rankings
- Nine clubs to compete for Asian title
- USAV Cup hosts claim first win
- Russia, Cuba, Italy and Turkey secure top 8 spots at Men's U23
- Top favourites succeed in Day 4 of World Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 4
- Hosts concede second defeat to Brazil in USAV Cup
- Poland celebrates first U19 World Championship title
- Russia win clash of Titans at Men's U23 World Championship
- Men's U21 World Championship match schedule now online
- USA lose to Brazil in USAV Cup opener
- Poland defeat France in Wagner Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 3
- Favourites start victorious at Men's U23 World Championship
- VOTE: Will Russia get their reward?
- Russia stand as lone unbeaten team on Day 3 of World Cup
- Follow the Men's U23 World Championship in the United Arab Emirates
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 2
- Coaches name Brazil, Russia and Italy as Men's U23 favourites
- China and Russia score back-to-back wins on Day 2 of World Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 1
- Russia, Cuba, USA, China, Peru and Japan seal victories in World Cup opener
- Taichung Bank capture maiden Asian Men’s Club title
- Wagner Cup coaches putting on finishing touches ahead of World Cup
- The future is bright for Women's U23 champions Brazil
- Teams in Tokyo all set for World Cup opening day
- VOTE: Top of the class?
- Rising star Souza takes Brazil forward