Special tribute to 1968 Mexican Olympic teams at Men’s Pan Am Cup
Mexico City, Mexico, August 19, 2013 - Twenty-two years after the last international volleyball competition, action returned to Mexico City. The “Juan de la Barrera Olympic Gymnasium” celebrated the opening of the Pan American Cup with a special ceremony.
The teams at the Pan Am Cup with the "class of 68" during the opening ceremony on Monday|
Members of Men’s and Women’s Mexican Olympic teams were honoured before Mexico’s opening match against Trinidad and Tobago. The tribute ceremony was so special for those who played at the 1968 Games on this same court 45 years ago.
Players like the legendary Blanca Garcia, Patricia Nava, Isabel Nogueira, Maria del Carmen Rodriguez, Rogelia Romo, Gloria Casales and Gloria Inzua, were among members of the team that was coached by Macario Gonzalez.
Some other coaches like Gabriel Cherebetiu were also present, while the members of the Men’s team who played at that time who attended to the ceremony were Eduardo Sixtos and Juan Manuel Duran.
Some other members of the 1968 teams who did not attend were remembered like
Esperanza Alicia Cárdenas and Trinidad Macías, who both have passed away as well as Eduardo Jiménez and José Luis Martell García.
The Men’s Nartional team on 1968 was conformed by Carlos Aguirre Beltrán, Eduardo Sixtos, Juan Manuel Duran Gutiérrez, Cesar Osuna Brambila, José Antonio Barbet Cabrera, Leopoldo Reyna Romo, Francisco González Hernández and Jesús Loya.
On behalf of Mexico City Mayor, Miguel Mancera, the Mexico City Sport Institute Director, Horacio de la Vega was present at the opening ceremony as well as Norceca and FIVB Executive Vice President Saul Castro Verdugo; Norceca Executive Director Nelson Ramírez and Mexican Volleyball Federation President, Jesus Perales.
Other FIVB news
- Japan, Thailand bag crucial wins to reach Asian U20 quarterfinals
- Peru win gold medal at U20 Final Four Cup
- Tomis sets up U13 department in neighbouring city of Tulcea
- Swedish women, Norwegian men take gold at U19 NEVZA Championships
- "Unpredictable" World Championship impresses Zorzi
- Japan beat hosts Thailand to retain Asian Girls’ U17 crown
- China show dominance on third day of Asian U20 champs
- Four teams bettered previous bests at Italy 2014
- Peru to meet Argentina for the gold at U20 Final Four
- China and Korea clash top of agenda on day 3 of Asian U20 Championships
- Japan, hosts Thailand set up final showdown in Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru overcome Cuba to stay undefeated at U20 Cup
- Hosts Thailand up against Korea, Japan set cup 2012 final rematch with China in semi-finals of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru and Dominican Republic open with victories
- MVP Hill shares World Championship glory
- Hong Kong outclass India in playoff of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Watch: Hill, Zeng lead teams during impressive FIVB Women's WCH final
- Peru host U20 Final Four Gatorade Cup
- Japan aim to make it three in a row at 17th Asian Men's U20 Championship
- Volleyball Tracking System offers new insight for fans
- Hosts Thailand stun world champions China in Asian Girls’ U17 playoffs
- Russia retain first place in European women's ranking
- Panoramic view provides unique souvenir of Women's World Championship final in Milan
- Sixth edition of Denitza Krivova Memorial held in France
- China, Japan, Korea, Thailand send rivals packing at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Hosts Thailand, Japan, China, Korea top their pools at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- President Medina congratulates Dominican women’s team
- World champions USA claim top spot in women's ranking
- Brazil win South American U22 Championship
- Chinese Taipei suffer first loss at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- FIVB selects Rosetta Stone to enhance communication among athletes and referees
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Final Day - As It Happened
- USA's Kim Hill honoured with World Championship MVP award
- Golden moment closes World Championship
- USA win first World Championship title, China and Brazil complete the podium
- Cuba top U23 Men’s Pan Am Cup
- Who will be the Most Valuable Player at the 2014 World Championship?
- Coaches Lang Ping and Kiraly, star players 30 years ago, face off in title match
- More history to be decided in Finals
- USA and China to meet in World Championship final
- USA and China to battle for gold at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 19 - As It Happened
- Strong start for competition favourites at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship in Thailand
- Volleyball and art collide for a great cause in Milan
- Volleyball celebrates 50 years at the Olympics
- Pressure mounts in Milan as semifinals start Saturday
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 18 - As It Happened
- Semifinalists confirmed for Women’s World Championship
- The United States and China claim remaining semifinal spots
- Danish U19s seek to set new record for most NEVZA titles