Video Challenge System success at World League Finals
The Video Challenge System was used a total of 41 times in eight matches during the 2013 World League Finals|
Lausanne, Switzerland, August 21, 2013 – A report on how the Video Challenge System was used during the FIVB Volleyball World League Finals has illustrated how much it helps referees, and line judges in particular, in making correct calls.
The Video Challenge System was used a total of 41 times in eight out of 10 matches (the Video Challenge System was not used on the opening day) at the FIVB Volleyball World League Finals in Mar del Plata, Argentina with 31 (76 per cent) of the referees’ decisions confirmed while 10 referees’ decision were overturned.
Of those 10 changed decisions, seven of them came from a line call, illustrating the significant help it provides to the officials and to the line judges.
“These statistics from the FIVB Volleyball World League Finals go to show how important the Video Challenge System is to help make the correct calls,” FIVB 2nd Executive Vice-President Andre Meyer, who is in charge of the Refereeing Commission, said. “If you consider the speed of the ball in the current era and the incredible dynamic play which is a regular feature at the FIVB’s major tournaments, this type of technology is invaluable, especially for line judges who are appointed by the local organising committee.”
The breakdown of the 41 challenges at the FIVB Volleyball World League Finals in Mar del Plata, Argentina is the following:
•Ball IN / OUT was checked 19 times (seven times the decision of the referee was changed),
•Net contact was checked nine times (one time the decision of the referee was changed),
•Penetration into the opponent’s court (centre line) was checked six times (one time the decision of the referee was changed),
•Contact with antennae (player or ball) was checked three times (one time the decision was changed),
•Foot fault (during the service) was checked two times,
•Attack line was checked two times.
The Video Challenge System was first used at an FIVB event during the FIVB Volleyball Club World Championships in 2012. Since then it was also used for select matches during the FIVB Volleyball World League Intercontinental Round.
During the FIVB World League Finals, the Video Challenge system was used in accordance with FIVB regulations, for video verifications on:
a. ball position where touching the floor (ball IN or ball OUT);
b. ball contact with antennae (particularly the order: after the attack hit or from the block);
c. faulty antennae or net contact by a player;
d. contact of player’s feet with end line (when executing service), attack line (when back row player executed attack hit) and under net penetration into the opponent’s court (center line);
e. Libero player’s feet position while playing the ball overhand finger pass if directly after an attack hit has completed while the ball was entirely higher than the top of the net.
The Video Challenge System is also being used for select matches during the FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix Preliminary Round and for all matches during the Finals, which will take place in Sapporo, Japan from August 28 to September 1, where the block touch will also be included as a review option.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend