Barbados stun Bahamas in enthralling World Championship qualifier final
Marigot, St. Martin, August 12, 2013 - Barbados turned the tables on the Bahamas and stunned them in a thrilling final match at the NORCECA Group I Second Round Qualification Tournament of the FIVB Men's World Championship winning 25-15, 22-25, 25-17, 25-23 on Sunday to earn a ticket to the third and final NORCECA phase in 2014.
Players of Barbados celebrate after earning a ticket to NORCECA Third Round of Qualifiers towards the 2014 FIVB Men's World Championship in Poland|
Princ Tanique Wilson led as usual for the Bahamas with a match-high 22 points and he had assistance from Byron Ferguson with 10. Barbados’ attack was more widely spread. Fabian Cox had 16 points, Shawn Simpson and 15 and Jabarry Goodridge and Jamaal Nedd contributed 11 and 10 respectively.
After losing in straight sets in the preliminaries it was like sweet revenge for Barbados and Ludger Niles, the coach of the Barbados team, could not hide his elation at accomplishing the feat.
"First let me congratulate Bahamas for playing a very entertaining game. As I told you at the onset of the tournament the team that was freshest and fittest in the finals stood a very good chance at winning. After losing the second set we decided that our main focus would be to serve well and play gritty defense. It is important to note the fact that Bahamas played a five-setter earlier today and that played into our hands," he beamed.
Coach Raymond Wilson of Bahamas was gracious in defeat."I believe we came across a team that was more prepared, more focused than us. Added to that, they committed fewer errors and at this level that's a huge factor. The five-setter this morning probably resulted in our sluggish start but Barbados seemed to be more hungry, and had the perfect ingredients for victory," he conceded.
Earlier, Nicaragua ensured that they did not return home empty handed when they took care of St. Martin in straight sets (25-21, 25-17, 25 -21) while playing in the third place playoff game.
Tito Valdivia’s 13 points and Jonathan Tuckler’s 12 points carried the brunt of the attack for the Central Americans while Rotilio Richardson with 15 points (13 spikes and 2 blocks) was all alone fighting a losing battle for St. Martin.
In the morning matches of Sunday Barbados earned the right to play in the finals when they defeated hosts St. Martin 3-0 (25-22,25-18, 25-20).
Clearly, it was the best effort by St. Martin over three games but it was still not good enough for victory as everything went Barbados' way when it mattered.
Rotilio Richardson was the highest scorer for the game with 18 points in a losing cause. Fabian Cox led all Barbadian scorers with 12 points while Jabarry Goodridge chipped in with 8.
Also, Bahamas was made to put in a workmanlike performance in order to overcome a gritty Nicaraguan team in five sets (19-25, 25-20, 25-19, 19-25, 15-6).
The win maintained a perfect record for Bahamas and secured their place in the finals while Nicaragua was relegated to play for third place.
Princ Tanique Wilson literally carried the attack for team Bahamas with 32 points. He had 28 spikes and 4 service aces. The next best scorer for Bahamas was Byron Ferguson with 10 points. On the losing side Alvarado Martinez contributed 17 points as the team's highest scorer.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend