Bahamas claim two victories in NORCECA Pool I
Marigot, St. Martin, August 10, 2013 – Bahamas won their two matches of Saturday at the NORCECA Men’s Pool I Qualification Tournament of the FIVB World Championship.
Princ Tanique Wilson contributed heavily to the ofence in the two victories of Bahamas on Saturday|
The Bahamians first opened with a straight-set win over hosts French St. Martin and then prevailed in close three-set victory over Barbados who had won their match against Nicaragua in consecutive frames.
Nicaragua later recovered to even up its record at 1-1 with a 3-0 victory over winless St. Martin.
In Sunday morning actions, the undefeated Bahamas plays Nicaragua while Barbados takes on St. Martin.
The top two ranked teams at the end of the round-robin will play for the ticket to the third round to be played in 2014 while the second place team has to wait until the four best second teams are determined from all six qualifiers played during the course of 2013.
Barbados 3, Nicaragua 0
Barbados poured in a dominating performance against Nicaragua winning in straight sets (25-13, 25-15, 25-23) in the opening encounter. Barbados led Nicaragua in the blocking department 13 -4 and in attacks they were also superior leading 34 to 23. Individually, it was Barbados' Jabarry Goodridge with 10 points that led all scorers. For the losing team Tito Valdivia was the highest scorer with 9 points.
Bahamas 3, St. Martin 0
Bahamas strolled to a comfortable straight sets victory (25-16, 25-16, 25-22) against St. Martin in the second match of Saturday. The attacking dominance of team Bahamas was shown on the score sheet as they had a 17 point advantage 37-20 at the end of the game. Renaldo Knowles led all scorers with 11 points. He was able assisted by Princ Tanique Wilson who had 10 points. For the losing team Rotiilio Rchardson was on top of their points table with 8.
Bahamas 3, Barbados 0
Bahamas got a second victory in as many matches when they put away strong contenders Barbados in straight sets (25-23, 25-21, 25-22) in the third match. Princ Tanique Wilson of Bahamas was on fire with 17 points, including 5 service aces. His teammate Renaldo Knowles had 11 points. Fabian Cox of Barbados also had 11 points in a losing cause. Overall Bahamas won in the spikes department 31-25 but Barbados outscored them in blocks 10-4. However the service points were led by Bahamas 10-3.
Nicaragua 3, St. Martin 0
Nicaragua recorded their first victory when they defeated hosts St. Martin in straight sets (25-23, 25-15, 25-14). Nicaragua depended on an overall team performance to achieve the victory and their efforts were reflected on the score sheet. Captain Kenneth Sevilla and Jonathan Lopez both had 9 points while Alvarado Martinez and Tito Valdivia chipped in with 8 and 7 points respectively. St. Martin on the other hand had a clear leader in Francky Luchel with 9 points in a losing effort.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- Australia and Brazil not worried about fatigue