Bahamas claim two victories in NORCECA Pool I
Marigot, St. Martin, August 10, 2013 – Bahamas won their two matches of Saturday at the NORCECA Men’s Pool I Qualification Tournament of the FIVB World Championship.
Princ Tanique Wilson contributed heavily to the ofence in the two victories of Bahamas on Saturday|
The Bahamians first opened with a straight-set win over hosts French St. Martin and then prevailed in close three-set victory over Barbados who had won their match against Nicaragua in consecutive frames.
Nicaragua later recovered to even up its record at 1-1 with a 3-0 victory over winless St. Martin.
In Sunday morning actions, the undefeated Bahamas plays Nicaragua while Barbados takes on St. Martin.
The top two ranked teams at the end of the round-robin will play for the ticket to the third round to be played in 2014 while the second place team has to wait until the four best second teams are determined from all six qualifiers played during the course of 2013.
Barbados 3, Nicaragua 0
Barbados poured in a dominating performance against Nicaragua winning in straight sets (25-13, 25-15, 25-23) in the opening encounter. Barbados led Nicaragua in the blocking department 13 -4 and in attacks they were also superior leading 34 to 23. Individually, it was Barbados' Jabarry Goodridge with 10 points that led all scorers. For the losing team Tito Valdivia was the highest scorer with 9 points.
Bahamas 3, St. Martin 0
Bahamas strolled to a comfortable straight sets victory (25-16, 25-16, 25-22) against St. Martin in the second match of Saturday. The attacking dominance of team Bahamas was shown on the score sheet as they had a 17 point advantage 37-20 at the end of the game. Renaldo Knowles led all scorers with 11 points. He was able assisted by Princ Tanique Wilson who had 10 points. For the losing team Rotiilio Rchardson was on top of their points table with 8.
Bahamas 3, Barbados 0
Bahamas got a second victory in as many matches when they put away strong contenders Barbados in straight sets (25-23, 25-21, 25-22) in the third match. Princ Tanique Wilson of Bahamas was on fire with 17 points, including 5 service aces. His teammate Renaldo Knowles had 11 points. Fabian Cox of Barbados also had 11 points in a losing cause. Overall Bahamas won in the spikes department 31-25 but Barbados outscored them in blocks 10-4. However the service points were led by Bahamas 10-3.
Nicaragua 3, St. Martin 0
Nicaragua recorded their first victory when they defeated hosts St. Martin in straight sets (25-23, 25-15, 25-14). Nicaragua depended on an overall team performance to achieve the victory and their efforts were reflected on the score sheet. Captain Kenneth Sevilla and Jonathan Lopez both had 9 points while Alvarado Martinez and Tito Valdivia chipped in with 8 and 7 points respectively. St. Martin on the other hand had a clear leader in Francky Luchel with 9 points in a losing effort.
Other FIVB news
- Favourite teams start victorious at Women's African Club Championship
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 16 clubs compete for African queen's title
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Tenth national title for Crvena Zvezda in Serbia
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Undefeated Marek claims third Bulgarian title in a row
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- VakifBank achieves spectacular U-turn in Teledunya Super Cup final
- Halkbank perseveres against Fenerbahce to win Teledunya Super Cup for men
- Belarus’ national leagues enter deciding stage
- Rosario wins the women’s Cup of Portugal
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Coaching staff for age group national teams meet in Argentina
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Brayelin Martínez caps outstanding year with honors from ACD
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Izmir gets ready for men's and women's Final Four in the Teledunya Super Cup
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Underdogs hope to pull off surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- Nakhonratchasima VC carrying Thai hopes in Asian Women's Club Championship
- Lienviet Post Bank to represent Vietnam in Women's Asian Club Championship
- Former Dutch women’s coach passes away aged 70
- FIVB Men’s World Championship ticket sales begin Monday
- Bethania scores 55 leading GS Caltex to the crown
- Board backs key World Championships
- Iran’s preparations for big year underway in Tehran
- Puerto Rican Hernandez to be enshrined by EIVA
- Peruvian volleyball joins in World Autism Awareness Day
- De la Cruz erupts with 54 points in GS Caltex victory