Bahamas claim two victories in NORCECA Pool I
Marigot, St. Martin, August 10, 2013 – Bahamas won their two matches of Saturday at the NORCECA Men’s Pool I Qualification Tournament of the FIVB World Championship.
Princ Tanique Wilson contributed heavily to the ofence in the two victories of Bahamas on Saturday|
The Bahamians first opened with a straight-set win over hosts French St. Martin and then prevailed in close three-set victory over Barbados who had won their match against Nicaragua in consecutive frames.
Nicaragua later recovered to even up its record at 1-1 with a 3-0 victory over winless St. Martin.
In Sunday morning actions, the undefeated Bahamas plays Nicaragua while Barbados takes on St. Martin.
The top two ranked teams at the end of the round-robin will play for the ticket to the third round to be played in 2014 while the second place team has to wait until the four best second teams are determined from all six qualifiers played during the course of 2013.
Barbados 3, Nicaragua 0
Barbados poured in a dominating performance against Nicaragua winning in straight sets (25-13, 25-15, 25-23) in the opening encounter. Barbados led Nicaragua in the blocking department 13 -4 and in attacks they were also superior leading 34 to 23. Individually, it was Barbados' Jabarry Goodridge with 10 points that led all scorers. For the losing team Tito Valdivia was the highest scorer with 9 points.
Bahamas 3, St. Martin 0
Bahamas strolled to a comfortable straight sets victory (25-16, 25-16, 25-22) against St. Martin in the second match of Saturday. The attacking dominance of team Bahamas was shown on the score sheet as they had a 17 point advantage 37-20 at the end of the game. Renaldo Knowles led all scorers with 11 points. He was able assisted by Princ Tanique Wilson who had 10 points. For the losing team Rotiilio Rchardson was on top of their points table with 8.
Bahamas 3, Barbados 0
Bahamas got a second victory in as many matches when they put away strong contenders Barbados in straight sets (25-23, 25-21, 25-22) in the third match. Princ Tanique Wilson of Bahamas was on fire with 17 points, including 5 service aces. His teammate Renaldo Knowles had 11 points. Fabian Cox of Barbados also had 11 points in a losing cause. Overall Bahamas won in the spikes department 31-25 but Barbados outscored them in blocks 10-4. However the service points were led by Bahamas 10-3.
Nicaragua 3, St. Martin 0
Nicaragua recorded their first victory when they defeated hosts St. Martin in straight sets (25-23, 25-15, 25-14). Nicaragua depended on an overall team performance to achieve the victory and their efforts were reflected on the score sheet. Captain Kenneth Sevilla and Jonathan Lopez both had 9 points while Alvarado Martinez and Tito Valdivia chipped in with 8 and 7 points respectively. St. Martin on the other hand had a clear leader in Francky Luchel with 9 points in a losing effort.
Other FIVB news
- Honda presents FIVB with new CR-V
- Teams travel from Sendai and Okayama to Nagoya
- VOTE: Rio 2016 dreams on the line
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 8
- USA, Russia, China, Serbia keep 7-1 win-loss cards on Day 8
- Six teams confirmed for Men's Club World Championship
- USA whitewash Cuba 3-0 to lead World Cup title race
- Favourites gear up for Men's World Cup
- U18 world champion Egonu an ambassador for the new Italy
- Canada coach Barrett: 'We are happy to arrive early'
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 7
- Serbia score huge upset on Russia on World Cup Day 7
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 6
- Brazil claim final USAV Cup win
- Russia and USA stay on top at start of World Cup second round
- Win with the #VabochanChallenge
- Teams expect tough competition in Sendai
- Cuba, Italy and Russia book semifinal tickets at Men's U23 World Championship
- Blengini and Juantorena claim win in run-up to World Cup
- Expectations rise as U21 World Championship nears
- Cuban captain says volleyball made dream come true
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 5
- Russia top World Cup first round rankings
- Nine clubs to compete for Asian title
- USAV Cup hosts claim first win
- Russia, Cuba, Italy and Turkey secure top 8 spots at Men's U23
- Top favourites succeed in Day 4 of World Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 4
- Hosts concede second defeat to Brazil in USAV Cup
- Poland celebrates first U19 World Championship title
- Russia win clash of Titans at Men's U23 World Championship
- Men's U21 World Championship match schedule now online
- USA lose to Brazil in USAV Cup opener
- Poland defeat France in Wagner Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 3
- Favourites start victorious at Men's U23 World Championship
- VOTE: Will Russia get their reward?
- Russia stand as lone unbeaten team on Day 3 of World Cup
- Follow the Men's U23 World Championship in the United Arab Emirates
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 2
- Coaches name Brazil, Russia and Italy as Men's U23 favourites
- China and Russia score back-to-back wins on Day 2 of World Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 1
- Russia, Cuba, USA, China, Peru and Japan seal victories in World Cup opener
- Taichung Bank capture maiden Asian Men’s Club title
- Wagner Cup coaches putting on finishing touches ahead of World Cup
- The future is bright for Women's U23 champions Brazil
- Teams in Tokyo all set for World Cup opening day
- VOTE: Top of the class?
- Rising star Souza takes Brazil forward