Expectations run high on the eve of Group I qualifier
Marigot, St. Martin August 9, 2013 - Team officials from the four teams of the FIVB Men's World Championships NORCECA Group I were all keen to do very well in this competition and qualify for the next round.
From left to right: Lester Martinez (NCA).Ludger Niles (BAR), Raymond Wilson (BAR) and Paul Quellery (FSM)|
"No team coming into this competition is coming here to lose and we are no different" said coach Lester Martinez of Nicaragua. "We have a young team but they are also full of experience and talent and we are very well prepared to fight to the finish and to do all that is in our hands to win this group," he concluded.
Team Bahamas was upbeat and the coach Raymond Wilson reported that the players were very anxious to get on the court.
"We expected to finish very high in this zone and therefore get a chance to go on into the next round. We are very familiar with team Barbados but and St Martin and Nicaragua are somewhat unknown to us. However, from what we have seen we firmly believe that once we produce our best defense and play consistently well we will achieve objective" he noted.
Barbados' coach Ludger Niles is counting on his team’s fitness to see them through. "We have had a decent preparation period on the back on placing second in group H. We expect to give a total team effort and not really lean on individuals. We are very clear in our objective of going on to the next round and we will play every match in order to do so.
Team St. Martin was enjoying their status as underdogs. "No one expected us to reach this far in the competition and so we aim to continue creating surprises and breaking a few hearts along the way. We are here to play ball," said coach Paul Quellery.
The opening games see Nicaragua taking on Barbados while the home team St. Martin will play against Bahamas.
The winner of this leg automatically goes through to the third round to be played in 2014 while the second place team has to wait until a "best second team" is determined from all six qualifiers played during the course of 2013.
Other FIVB news
- Andrea Zorzi: Speed is at the heart of modern volleyball
- World League performances reshuffle world ranking
- Algeria to host Women's U18 and U23 African Nations Championships
- Qualification system for 2015 European Games confirmed
- Social Timeline: World League Finals leads to USA gold
- Women’s Club World Championship agreement with Eventcourt confirmed until 2019
- Mexico win final ticket to Italy
- Puerto Rico complete the teams qualified to Poland
- Japan overcome Italy 3-1 in fourth World Grand Prix warm-up
- Team USA Sweeps Cuba to Win NORCECA U19 Gold
- Talking Stats: USA join World League’s multiple gold medal club; Italy win back-to-back bronze
- USA upset Brazil to claim second World League title
- Stats Preview: Brazil, USA set for first-ever meeting in World League final; Italy eye fourth bronze medal
- Talking Stats: USA reach third World League final; Brazil get chance to add more silverware
- Brazil and USA book World League final date
- Volleyball is thrilling a nation, say Italian papers
- Two sets are enough for Turkey to win first European League title
- Stats preview: Iran take first ever meeting with USA; Brazil aim to continue semifinal winning streak
- Top eight confirmed for the 17th Asian Women’s U19 Volleyball Championship
- Talking Stats: Iran guarantee top four finish for the first time; Italy keep clean win-record
- Italian Prime Minister joins President Graca at World League Finals
- Italy v Brazil, USA v Iran in World League Semifinals
- We can be champions, says Amir Ghafour
- FIVB Volleyball World League 2015 formula confirmed
- Iran stand a good chance of qualifying, says Andrea Zorzi
- Talking stats: Iran and Australia in critical, must-win matches to make World League semifinals cut
- Neslihan Demir: Leader, iron lady, flag carrier and mother
- Talking Stats: Brazil end losing streak against Russia; USA recover to record win in World League finals
- Brazil and Italy book semifinal spots on World League Finals Day Two
- We are carrying Brazil's hopes after football failure, says Lucarelli
- Dalhausser and Rosenthal on the hunt for a ‘turkey’ in The Hague
- ‘Brazil have a point to prove’ says Zorzi
- Italy can go all the way on this form, says Zorzi
- The 17th Asian Women's U19 Volleyball Championships open in Taipei
- Brazil renew rivalry with Russia; Australia test mettle on first trip to World League Finals
- 1982: The Soviet Union and China win gold at World Championships
- Talking Stats: Russia overcome five-set losing spell; Italy end losing streak
- Italy and Russia record wins as World League Finals begin
- Turkey one step closer to European League crown
- NORCECA Women’s Playoff gets under way in Trinidad
- Andrea Zorzi: Pavlov and Muserskiy combo will be key for Russia
- 17th Asian Women's U19 Volleyball Championship kicks off in Taipei
- Russia set title defence against Iran; Italy and USA break win-record tie in World League
- Coaches look forward to "great show" in Florence
- Florence all set to host World League Finals
- Kenya name final World Grand Prix team
- Brazil's Wallace relishing start of World League
- The home crowds will help us, says coach Berruto
- Kovac and Iran eye surprise in Italy
- USA win gold at NORCECA U-20 Women’s