Expectations run high on the eve of Group I qualifier
Marigot, St. Martin August 9, 2013 - Team officials from the four teams of the FIVB Men's World Championships NORCECA Group I were all keen to do very well in this competition and qualify for the next round.
From left to right: Lester Martinez (NCA).Ludger Niles (BAR), Raymond Wilson (BAR) and Paul Quellery (FSM)|
"No team coming into this competition is coming here to lose and we are no different" said coach Lester Martinez of Nicaragua. "We have a young team but they are also full of experience and talent and we are very well prepared to fight to the finish and to do all that is in our hands to win this group," he concluded.
Team Bahamas was upbeat and the coach Raymond Wilson reported that the players were very anxious to get on the court.
"We expected to finish very high in this zone and therefore get a chance to go on into the next round. We are very familiar with team Barbados but and St Martin and Nicaragua are somewhat unknown to us. However, from what we have seen we firmly believe that once we produce our best defense and play consistently well we will achieve objective" he noted.
Barbados' coach Ludger Niles is counting on his team’s fitness to see them through. "We have had a decent preparation period on the back on placing second in group H. We expect to give a total team effort and not really lean on individuals. We are very clear in our objective of going on to the next round and we will play every match in order to do so.
Team St. Martin was enjoying their status as underdogs. "No one expected us to reach this far in the competition and so we aim to continue creating surprises and breaking a few hearts along the way. We are here to play ball," said coach Paul Quellery.
The opening games see Nicaragua taking on Barbados while the home team St. Martin will play against Bahamas.
The winner of this leg automatically goes through to the third round to be played in 2014 while the second place team has to wait until a "best second team" is determined from all six qualifiers played during the course of 2013.
Other FIVB news
- Japan to host its first-ever FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship in Kobe
- Eczacibasi celebrate golden anniversary ahead of Club Worlds
- Iran capture third AVC Cup title after comeback win over China
- Preparations in full swing at PSL Manila
- Galaxy of Olympic stars in 2016-17 Brazil Superleagues
- Iran, China to clash in final of Men's AVC Cup
- 2017 World Grand Prix and World League websites launched
- Bidding process opened for 2017 Men's Club World Championship
- Iran, Japan, China, Chinese Taipei reach AVC Cup semifinals
- 2017 World League Finals bidding process launched
- Angela Leyva in rising orbit ahead of 2017 World Grand Prix Group 2
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Mauritian Volleyball League sees two first-time champions
- Japan, Thailand top pools at AVC Cup for Women
- Kenia Carcaces back at Volero Zürich
- Giovane Gavio happy to be coaching Brazil U-21 team
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- President Graça hails successful World Grand Prix Finals in Thailand
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- We must continue our exceptional growth - President Graça
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- Argentina and Cuba to play for gold in Men's U23 Pan Am Cup
- Semifinals set in Men’s U23 Pan American Cup
- Volleyball Australia prepares for Tokyo 2020 Olympic cycle
- FIVB survey translated into five languages
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Dominican Republic win NORCECA U18 title in dramatic fashion
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Argentina, Cuba get direct access to Men's U23 Pan Am Cup semifinals
- Chile, Cuba and Colombia get solid victories at Men's U23 Pan Am Cup
- A month after opening, Brazil still bask in Rio 2016 gold glory
- One month after first serve, memories of Rio still stay strong
- Men's U23 Pan Am Cup opens third edition in Guanajuato
- New Tech: The most eagle-eyed coaches at Rio 2016