Expectations run high on the eve of Group I qualifier
Marigot, St. Martin August 9, 2013 - Team officials from the four teams of the FIVB Men's World Championships NORCECA Group I were all keen to do very well in this competition and qualify for the next round.
From left to right: Lester Martinez (NCA).Ludger Niles (BAR), Raymond Wilson (BAR) and Paul Quellery (FSM)|
"No team coming into this competition is coming here to lose and we are no different" said coach Lester Martinez of Nicaragua. "We have a young team but they are also full of experience and talent and we are very well prepared to fight to the finish and to do all that is in our hands to win this group," he concluded.
Team Bahamas was upbeat and the coach Raymond Wilson reported that the players were very anxious to get on the court.
"We expected to finish very high in this zone and therefore get a chance to go on into the next round. We are very familiar with team Barbados but and St Martin and Nicaragua are somewhat unknown to us. However, from what we have seen we firmly believe that once we produce our best defense and play consistently well we will achieve objective" he noted.
Barbados' coach Ludger Niles is counting on his team’s fitness to see them through. "We have had a decent preparation period on the back on placing second in group H. We expect to give a total team effort and not really lean on individuals. We are very clear in our objective of going on to the next round and we will play every match in order to do so.
Team St. Martin was enjoying their status as underdogs. "No one expected us to reach this far in the competition and so we aim to continue creating surprises and breaking a few hearts along the way. We are here to play ball," said coach Paul Quellery.
The opening games see Nicaragua taking on Barbados while the home team St. Martin will play against Bahamas.
The winner of this leg automatically goes through to the third round to be played in 2014 while the second place team has to wait until a "best second team" is determined from all six qualifiers played during the course of 2013.
Other FIVB news
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win against Italy, Poland win in Tehran on day 22
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- Australia and Brazil not worried about fatigue
- Australia ready for improved World Grand Prix performance
- Men's U21 World Championship draw to take place in Tijuana
- Draw held in Argentina for U19 World Championship
- Finland know World League target
- World Grand Prix preview: Six-week, record-breaking spectacle kicks off in Mexico and Kazakhstan
- World League Week 7 Preview: France aim to equal Dutch record
- Poland, Serbia, Turkey and hosts Azerbaijan make European Games semis
- Australia brace for big showdown with Brazil in Sydney
- Montenegro lead the way in Group 3
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week six
- USA and China to renew rivalry at World Cup
- Eliminating language barriers: The evolution of volleyball Olympic pictograms
- Kenya, Algeria turn attention to World Grand Prix
- World League Week 6 review
- Top band The Potbelleez to entertain Australia-Brazil crowds
- Olympic and World champions to meet in World Cup
- FIVB World League Week 6 - As It Happened