Expectations run high on the eve of Group I qualifier
Marigot, St. Martin August 9, 2013 - Team officials from the four teams of the FIVB Men's World Championships NORCECA Group I were all keen to do very well in this competition and qualify for the next round.
From left to right: Lester Martinez (NCA).Ludger Niles (BAR), Raymond Wilson (BAR) and Paul Quellery (FSM)|
"No team coming into this competition is coming here to lose and we are no different" said coach Lester Martinez of Nicaragua. "We have a young team but they are also full of experience and talent and we are very well prepared to fight to the finish and to do all that is in our hands to win this group," he concluded.
Team Bahamas was upbeat and the coach Raymond Wilson reported that the players were very anxious to get on the court.
"We expected to finish very high in this zone and therefore get a chance to go on into the next round. We are very familiar with team Barbados but and St Martin and Nicaragua are somewhat unknown to us. However, from what we have seen we firmly believe that once we produce our best defense and play consistently well we will achieve objective" he noted.
Barbados' coach Ludger Niles is counting on his team’s fitness to see them through. "We have had a decent preparation period on the back on placing second in group H. We expect to give a total team effort and not really lean on individuals. We are very clear in our objective of going on to the next round and we will play every match in order to do so.
Team St. Martin was enjoying their status as underdogs. "No one expected us to reach this far in the competition and so we aim to continue creating surprises and breaking a few hearts along the way. We are here to play ball," said coach Paul Quellery.
The opening games see Nicaragua taking on Barbados while the home team St. Martin will play against Bahamas.
The winner of this leg automatically goes through to the third round to be played in 2014 while the second place team has to wait until a "best second team" is determined from all six qualifiers played during the course of 2013.
Other FIVB news
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Undefeated Marek claims third Bulgarian title in a row
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- VakifBank achieves spectacular U-turn in Teledunya Super Cup final
- Halkbank perseveres against Fenerbahce to win Teledunya Super Cup for men
- Rosario wins the women’s Cup of Portugal
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Coaching staff for age group national teams meet in Argentina
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Brayelin Martínez caps outstanding year with honors from ACD
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Izmir gets ready for men's and women's Final Four in the Teledunya Super Cup
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Underdogs hope to pull off surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- Nakhonratchasima VC carrying Thai hopes in Asian Women's Club Championship
- Lienviet Post Bank to represent Vietnam in Women's Asian Club Championship
- Former Dutch women’s coach passes away aged 70
- FIVB Men’s World Championship ticket sales begin Monday
- Bethania scores 55 leading GS Caltex to the crown
- Board backs key World Championships
- Iran’s preparations for big year underway in Tehran
- Puerto Rican Hernandez to be enshrined by EIVA
- Peruvian volleyball joins in World Autism Awareness Day
- De la Cruz erupts with 54 points in GS Caltex victory
- Julio Velasco holds first training session with men's national team of Argentina
- Argentina's girls' youth team working hard in Los Toldos
- Molico Osasco receive Women's Club World Championship wild card
- Ocasio fires 47 points in IBK victory, Bethania had 50 in the loss
- Russia wins three of the European Cups, Fenerbahce - two
- Ten teams to contest Asian Women's Club Championship after Turkmenistan withdrawal
- Tianjin has eye on Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship title
- FIVB Club World Championship qualifiers move closer to completion
- Horseed take national volleyball championship title of Somalia
- China's men’s national team begin training for 2014 season!
- Esperance book Club World Championship ticket with 4th African title
- FAP finish ninth at Men's African Club Championship