Argentina and Brazil first to qualify for 2014 Men’s World Championship
Cabo Frio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, August 9, 2013 – Three-time defending world champions Brazil and Argentina obtained the two FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship Poland 2014 tickets on offer at the 30th South American Championship after reaching the final on the annual event.
Argentina have played in 10 out of the 17 previous editions of the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship, which takes place every four years|
Argentina beat Colombia 3-0 (25-17, 25-9, 25-17) on Friday to secure their third consecutive victory and a place in the tournament final while Brazil beat Chile 3-0 (25-19, 25-19, 25-17) to also advance to the playoff for the title on Saturday. By advancing to the final, Argentina and Brazil are the first teams to qualify for the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship 2014, joining hosts Poland.
Despite the difference in technical level and large number of errors, Chile were determined to approach the net and not let Bernardinho’s team dominate the game. Thanks to the good work of Gevert, Bonacic and Vicente Parraguirre, Chile managed tie the score three times during the third set and took the lead by three points at 9-6. "It's always important to play against Brazil who are semi-professional,” Parraguirre, who scored 13 points, said. “Today we showed that we are working and in the right way. I'm happy because we played as equals."
For Brazil, Sidao, who was returning to the team after three months and a half out following back surgery, was the top scorer with 12 points: "We did not play all that we could play and they came for all or nothing, taking on our strong, attacking line up,” he said. “That's a bit difficult but the decisive points at the end of the sets were key.”
In the first match of the day, Argentina had no major problems to make their experience count against Colombia with central Sebastian Sole and opposite Bruno Romanutti leading the way. The Colombians, who beat Chile in five sets, led by Argentine coach Marcelo Gigante, who joined the team less than a month ago, also made some crucial errors.
"I'm happy because we played well and we won our main goal, qualifying for the World Championships,” Argentina coach Javier Weber said. “We kept a good pace in the game with strength and determination. I want to see this same performance against Brazil (in the final), the best team in the world in the last decade. It is always very special to face them and I would like my team to show the same determination.”
The top scorer for Argentina was Federico Pereyra who made 14, while for Colombia Alexander Moreno collected seven. "We entered the court with extra motivation, the vacancy for the World Championship,” Pereyra said. “To have any chance with Brazil, we have to respect them, but we need to play as well as we did today."
The South American Championship XXX provides two tickets to the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014. The third vacancy will be played for in a qualifying tournament in Colombia.
All confederations are completing their qualification process ahead of the FIVB's premier volleyball tournament, which takes place every four years.
Other FIVB news
- “Iron Hammer” takes heart from encouraging new start
- Grankin inducted into elite Sergey Tetyukhin Club
- MVP award crowns Wlazly's persistence
- Qatar, Taipei complete final eight at Asian U20 champs
- Japan, Thailand bag crucial wins to reach Asian U20 quarterfinals
- Peru win gold medal at U20 Final Four Cup
- Tomis sets up U13 department in neighbouring city of Tulcea
- Swedish women, Norwegian men take gold at U19 NEVZA Championships
- "Unpredictable" World Championship impresses Zorzi
- Japan beat hosts Thailand to retain Asian Girls’ U17 crown
- China show dominance on third day of Asian U20 champs
- Four teams bettered previous bests at Italy 2014
- Peru to meet Argentina for the gold at U20 Final Four
- China and Korea clash top of agenda on day 3 of Asian U20 Championships
- Japan, hosts Thailand set up final showdown in Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru overcome Cuba to stay undefeated at U20 Cup
- Hosts Thailand up against Korea, Japan set cup 2012 final rematch with China in semi-finals of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru and Dominican Republic open with victories
- MVP Hill shares World Championship glory
- Hong Kong outclass India in playoff of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Watch: Hill, Zeng lead teams during impressive FIVB Women's WCH final
- Peru host U20 Final Four Gatorade Cup
- Japan aim to make it three in a row at 17th Asian Men's U20 Championship
- Volleyball Tracking System offers new insight for fans
- Hosts Thailand stun world champions China in Asian Girls’ U17 playoffs
- Russia retain first place in European women's ranking
- Panoramic view provides unique souvenir of Women's World Championship final in Milan
- Sixth edition of Denitza Krivova Memorial held in France
- China, Japan, Korea, Thailand send rivals packing at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Hosts Thailand, Japan, China, Korea top their pools at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- President Medina congratulates Dominican women’s team
- World champions USA claim top spot in women's ranking
- Brazil win South American U22 Championship
- Chinese Taipei suffer first loss at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- FIVB selects Rosetta Stone to enhance communication among athletes and referees
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Final Day - As It Happened
- USA's Kim Hill honoured with World Championship MVP award
- Golden moment closes World Championship
- USA win first World Championship title, China and Brazil complete the podium
- Cuba top U23 Men’s Pan Am Cup
- Who will be the Most Valuable Player at the 2014 World Championship?
- Coaches Lang Ping and Kiraly, star players 30 years ago, face off in title match
- More history to be decided in Finals
- USA and China to meet in World Championship final
- USA and China to battle for gold at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 19 - As It Happened
- Strong start for competition favourites at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship in Thailand
- Volleyball and art collide for a great cause in Milan
- Volleyball celebrates 50 years at the Olympics
- Pressure mounts in Milan as semifinals start Saturday