Argentina and Brazil first to qualify for 2014 Men’s World Championship
Cabo Frio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, August 9, 2013 – Three-time defending world champions Brazil and Argentina obtained the two FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship Poland 2014 tickets on offer at the 30th South American Championship after reaching the final on the annual event.
Argentina have played in 10 out of the 17 previous editions of the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship, which takes place every four years|
Argentina beat Colombia 3-0 (25-17, 25-9, 25-17) on Friday to secure their third consecutive victory and a place in the tournament final while Brazil beat Chile 3-0 (25-19, 25-19, 25-17) to also advance to the playoff for the title on Saturday. By advancing to the final, Argentina and Brazil are the first teams to qualify for the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship 2014, joining hosts Poland.
Despite the difference in technical level and large number of errors, Chile were determined to approach the net and not let Bernardinho’s team dominate the game. Thanks to the good work of Gevert, Bonacic and Vicente Parraguirre, Chile managed tie the score three times during the third set and took the lead by three points at 9-6. "It's always important to play against Brazil who are semi-professional,” Parraguirre, who scored 13 points, said. “Today we showed that we are working and in the right way. I'm happy because we played as equals."
For Brazil, Sidao, who was returning to the team after three months and a half out following back surgery, was the top scorer with 12 points: "We did not play all that we could play and they came for all or nothing, taking on our strong, attacking line up,” he said. “That's a bit difficult but the decisive points at the end of the sets were key.”
In the first match of the day, Argentina had no major problems to make their experience count against Colombia with central Sebastian Sole and opposite Bruno Romanutti leading the way. The Colombians, who beat Chile in five sets, led by Argentine coach Marcelo Gigante, who joined the team less than a month ago, also made some crucial errors.
"I'm happy because we played well and we won our main goal, qualifying for the World Championships,” Argentina coach Javier Weber said. “We kept a good pace in the game with strength and determination. I want to see this same performance against Brazil (in the final), the best team in the world in the last decade. It is always very special to face them and I would like my team to show the same determination.”
The top scorer for Argentina was Federico Pereyra who made 14, while for Colombia Alexander Moreno collected seven. "We entered the court with extra motivation, the vacancy for the World Championship,” Pereyra said. “To have any chance with Brazil, we have to respect them, but we need to play as well as we did today."
The South American Championship XXX provides two tickets to the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014. The third vacancy will be played for in a qualifying tournament in Colombia.
All confederations are completing their qualification process ahead of the FIVB's premier volleyball tournament, which takes place every four years.
Other FIVB news
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win against Italy, Poland win in Tehran on day 22
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- VIDEO: President Graça shows how to #VolleyballYourWay
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- Australia and Brazil not worried about fatigue
- Australia ready for improved World Grand Prix performance
- Men's U21 World Championship draw to take place in Tijuana
- Draw held in Argentina for U19 World Championship
- Finland know World League target
- World Grand Prix preview: Six-week, record-breaking spectacle kicks off in Mexico and Kazakhstan
- World League Week 7 Preview: France aim to equal Dutch record
- Poland, Serbia, Turkey and hosts Azerbaijan make European Games semis
- Australia brace for big showdown with Brazil in Sydney
- Montenegro lead the way in Group 3
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week six
- USA and China to renew rivalry at World Cup
- Eliminating language barriers: The evolution of volleyball Olympic pictograms
- Kenya, Algeria turn attention to World Grand Prix
- World League Week 6 review
- Top band The Potbelleez to entertain Australia-Brazil crowds
- Olympic and World champions to meet in World Cup
- FIVB World League Week 6 - As It Happened
- USA win third crown in four years at Pan Am Cup