World League - FIVB increases spectator experience with new Challenge System
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 5, 2013 – Volleyball fans in Wroclaw and around the world will have the ground breaking experience of the FIVB’s new innovative Challenge System on Sunday which will be used for the first time at the World League match between Poland and USA.
The Poland v USA will be streamed live on FIVB Web TV in addition to the Match of the Week, which features Serbia against Italy on Saturday at 18:00 GMT. |
The FIVB Challenge System will now use television replays to verify any challenged points, which will be shown in the arena as well on the live streaming coverage as and when the second referee reviews a challenge.
The Poland v USA will be streamed live on FIVB Web TV in addition to the Match of the Week, which features Serbia against Italy on Saturday at 18:00 GMT.
Up until this weekend, the FIVB had trialled a review system where the second referee would review any challenge on a screen next to the court. Now all persons in the stadium and watching on television can see for themselves the review process before the official decision is made.
A reminder of the Challenge System process:
1) Video verification can be called upon team’s game captain request, however before the game has been resumed and directly after the rally which is a matter of doubt.
2) Both teams have the right to call video verification for referees’ decision twice per set. If the result of video verification leads to decision change in favour of requesting team, it does not decrease the number for video verification calls available for this team in this set. On the other hand, if decision of referees was correct, it means that the number of video verification calls for this team in this set decreased by one.
3) First referee himself has the right to ask for video verification in case he is in two minds and his call will finish the set / match.
4) Subject for video verification can be the following situations only:
a. all position where touching the floor (ball IN or ball OUT);
b. ball contact with antennae (particularly the order: after the attack hit or from the block);
c. faulty antennae or net contact by a player;
d. contact of player’s feet with end line (when executing service), attack line (when back row player executed attack hit) and under net penetration into the opponent’s court (center line);
e. Libero player’s feet position while playing the ball overhand finger pass if directly after an attack hit has completed while the ball was entirely higher than the top of the net.
f. Only the game captain can address his requests for video verification to 1st referee (not later than five seconds after the rally has been finished). If the request will be judged by 1st referee as not consistent with point 4, the request will be rejected and the requesting team sanctioned for game delay. In case of a correct request the 1st referee will initiate video verification procedure whistling and pointing both hands towards scorer’s table. All acting players remain on the court for the time needed to assess video.
5) Second referee analyses the video replay on a screen next to the court. A replay will be available fopr onsite spectator and the television audience.
6) Second referee after verification based on video replay informs by hand signals the 1st referee who is responsible for final decision.
7) In case no action’s evaluation based on video replay can be done, decision of the 1st referee remains in force and the team jeep the challenge.
2013 World League Tournament page Twitter: @FIVB Volleyball, @FIVBWorIdLeague
2013 World League Live Scorebox
2013 World League Schedule
FIVB World Rankings
Facebook: FIVB -
International Volleyball Federation
YouTube: FIVB Video
For more info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other FIVB news
- Second round has arrived with promises of more exciting matches
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Fired-up Iran prove too strong for India to claim second win in Incheon
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Las Panteritas prepare for South American Women's Junior Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- Third international Paidar Demir tournament this weekend in Istanbul
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Thailand join China, Japan and Kuwait in quarterfinals of Asian Games men’s volleyball
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Korea and China top groups in Asian Games women's volleyball
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Brazilian coaches on both sidelines without Brazil playing
- Were you at the final?
- Russia stay top of European Ranking while Poland move up to fourth
- Maritza adds well-known names to roster before third edition of Kupa Plovdiv
- Korea, India and Thailand remain unbeaten in Asian Games men’s volleyball
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Eight undefeated teams stand in good position to advance to second round after Day 2
- No second day shocks for tournament favourites
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 2 - As It Happened
- Dutch earn second win with victory against Thailand
- Italy jersey and official World Championship ball given to the Pope
- Re-live the FIVB Men's World Championship on YouTube
- Japan, China, Qatar men continue strong run in Asian Games
- Day 2 promises to be just as exciting for Women's World Championship
- Korea's women crush Thailand, China beat Hong Kong in Asian Games
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 1 - As It Happened
- Poland surge up rankings after gold medal success
- Japan drop points on opening day
- Social Media Wrap-Up - FIVB Men's World Championship
- Kuwait enjoy strong start at 17th Asian Games
- Russia and the returning Gamova out for a hat-trick of titles
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day -1 - As It Happened
- Pool A coaches honored to play in Rome