World League - FIVB increases spectator experience with new Challenge System
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 5, 2013 – Volleyball fans in Wroclaw and around the world will have the ground breaking experience of the FIVB’s new innovative Challenge System on Sunday which will be used for the first time at the World League match between Poland and USA.
The Poland v USA will be streamed live on FIVB Web TV in addition to the Match of the Week, which features Serbia against Italy on Saturday at 18:00 GMT. |
The FIVB Challenge System will now use television replays to verify any challenged points, which will be shown in the arena as well on the live streaming coverage as and when the second referee reviews a challenge.
The Poland v USA will be streamed live on FIVB Web TV in addition to the Match of the Week, which features Serbia against Italy on Saturday at 18:00 GMT.
Up until this weekend, the FIVB had trialled a review system where the second referee would review any challenge on a screen next to the court. Now all persons in the stadium and watching on television can see for themselves the review process before the official decision is made.
A reminder of the Challenge System process:
1) Video verification can be called upon team’s game captain request, however before the game has been resumed and directly after the rally which is a matter of doubt.
2) Both teams have the right to call video verification for referees’ decision twice per set. If the result of video verification leads to decision change in favour of requesting team, it does not decrease the number for video verification calls available for this team in this set. On the other hand, if decision of referees was correct, it means that the number of video verification calls for this team in this set decreased by one.
3) First referee himself has the right to ask for video verification in case he is in two minds and his call will finish the set / match.
4) Subject for video verification can be the following situations only:
a. all position where touching the floor (ball IN or ball OUT);
b. ball contact with antennae (particularly the order: after the attack hit or from the block);
c. faulty antennae or net contact by a player;
d. contact of player’s feet with end line (when executing service), attack line (when back row player executed attack hit) and under net penetration into the opponent’s court (center line);
e. Libero player’s feet position while playing the ball overhand finger pass if directly after an attack hit has completed while the ball was entirely higher than the top of the net.
f. Only the game captain can address his requests for video verification to 1st referee (not later than five seconds after the rally has been finished). If the request will be judged by 1st referee as not consistent with point 4, the request will be rejected and the requesting team sanctioned for game delay. In case of a correct request the 1st referee will initiate video verification procedure whistling and pointing both hands towards scorer’s table. All acting players remain on the court for the time needed to assess video.
5) Second referee analyses the video replay on a screen next to the court. A replay will be available fopr onsite spectator and the television audience.
6) Second referee after verification based on video replay informs by hand signals the 1st referee who is responsible for final decision.
7) In case no action’s evaluation based on video replay can be done, decision of the 1st referee remains in force and the team jeep the challenge.
2013 World League Tournament page Twitter: @FIVB Volleyball, @FIVBWorIdLeague
2013 World League Live Scorebox
2013 World League Schedule
FIVB World Rankings
Facebook: FIVB -
International Volleyball Federation
YouTube: FIVB Video
For more info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other FIVB news
- "World champs show volleyball is still growing" says Sykora
- “Iron Hammer” takes heart from encouraging new start
- Grankin inducted into elite Sergey Tetyukhin Club
- MVP award crowns Wlazly's persistence
- Qatar, Taipei complete final eight at Asian U20 champs
- Japan, Thailand bag crucial wins to reach Asian U20 quarterfinals
- Peru win gold medal at U20 Final Four Cup
- Tomis sets up U13 department in neighbouring city of Tulcea
- Swedish women, Norwegian men take gold at U19 NEVZA Championships
- "Unpredictable" World Championship impresses Zorzi
- Japan beat hosts Thailand to retain Asian Girls’ U17 crown
- China show dominance on third day of Asian U20 champs
- Four teams bettered previous bests at Italy 2014
- Peru to meet Argentina for the gold at U20 Final Four
- China and Korea clash top of agenda on day 3 of Asian U20 Championships
- Japan, hosts Thailand set up final showdown in Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru overcome Cuba to stay undefeated at U20 Cup
- Hosts Thailand up against Korea, Japan set cup 2012 final rematch with China in semi-finals of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru and Dominican Republic open with victories
- MVP Hill shares World Championship glory
- Hong Kong outclass India in playoff of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Watch: Hill, Zeng lead teams during impressive FIVB Women's WCH final
- Peru host U20 Final Four Gatorade Cup
- Japan aim to make it three in a row at 17th Asian Men's U20 Championship
- Volleyball Tracking System offers new insight for fans
- Hosts Thailand stun world champions China in Asian Girls’ U17 playoffs
- Russia retain first place in European women's ranking
- Panoramic view provides unique souvenir of Women's World Championship final in Milan
- Sixth edition of Denitza Krivova Memorial held in France
- China, Japan, Korea, Thailand send rivals packing at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Hosts Thailand, Japan, China, Korea top their pools at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- President Medina congratulates Dominican women’s team
- World champions USA claim top spot in women's ranking
- Brazil win South American U22 Championship
- Chinese Taipei suffer first loss at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- FIVB selects Rosetta Stone to enhance communication among athletes and referees
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Final Day - As It Happened
- USA's Kim Hill honoured with World Championship MVP award
- Golden moment closes World Championship
- USA win first World Championship title, China and Brazil complete the podium
- Cuba top U23 Men’s Pan Am Cup
- Who will be the Most Valuable Player at the 2014 World Championship?
- Coaches Lang Ping and Kiraly, star players 30 years ago, face off in title match
- More history to be decided in Finals
- USA and China to meet in World Championship final
- USA and China to battle for gold at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 19 - As It Happened
- Strong start for competition favourites at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship in Thailand
- Volleyball and art collide for a great cause in Milan
- Volleyball celebrates 50 years at the Olympics