President inspired by bright FIVB future
Lausanne, Switzerland, April 3, 2014 – International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° impressed upon the members of the FIVB Board of Administration to join him on his quest towards a new era and exciting future for the sport of volleyball.
President Graça with guest of honour Olympic Broadcasting Services Chief Executive Officer Yiannis Exarchos and FIVB 1st Executive Vice President Cristobal Marte Hoffiz|
Opening the FIVB Board of Administration meeting on Thursday at the FIVB's headquarters in Lausanne, President Graça reviewed what has been an impressive year for the sport of volleyball but told members to focus on the future and on what promises to be an exciting opportunity for the sport of volleyball.
“I have been travelling around the world, participating in each of the Continental Congresses, as well as attending SportAccord in St Petersburg, the Winter Olympics in Sochi and a recent visit to Saudi Arabia amongst many other trips, all in the effort to increase the development and promotion of volleyball. My attendance to the Winter Olympics was to attend the 126th IOC Session in Sochi, where I promoted volleyball not just as a summer sport, but as a core Olympic sport, and a valuable partner and resource for the entire Olympic Movement.
"In my travels, it was very encouraging to see how people are working. I was proud to see such believe in the new direction the FIVB is heading. I believe we have a bright future and people are believing we are heading towards a new era. A new era of working where people are encouraged by the promising future that lies ahead.
“We must continue to take care of the needs of the Confederations and all our Federations, no matter what their level is. Everybody is equal, everybody deserves the same attention. The goal in the future is to improve the level of each Federation, help them move up and improve because we need more countries participating in our competitions. We have seen real progress in last four or five years but we can do more.
“NORCECA, Europe and South America have outstanding participation levels, Africa is closing fast and with the help of the Asia Volleyball Confederation President Dr Saleh Ahmad Bin Nasser, Asia is nearing the level it deserves, especially with the greater support we are providing to areas like Oceania, thanks to the help of the Australia Volleyball Federation and Australia Olympic Committee.
"The partnership with the Confederations Presidents is fundamental to the development of our sport and the work of the Executive Vice Presidents in charge of the different areas of our organisation is also extremely important.
“I am stimulated to go on, to do something different, something new and we need the same enthusiasm throughout our volleyball family. Together we have a bright future, to be bigger than we are today. Let’s help volleyball, with your help and support we will succeed in this mission.”
The 2014 FIVB Board of Administration meeting is being held over Thursday and Friday.
OTHER FIVB NEWS
- Bank Sarmayeh to face Al-Arabi in final showdown at Asian Men's Club Championship
- Bank Sarmayeh, Shanghai set up mighty clash and Al-Arabi challenge Toyoda at Asian Men's Club Championship semifinals
- Bank Sarmayeh and Al-Arabi remain only two unbeaten teams at Asian Men's Club Championship
- Myanmar, Taiwan Power, Al-Arabi and Bank Sarmayeh top their pools at Asian Men's Club Championship
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Hosts Myanmar join strong teams for convincing wins on Day 1 at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- History makers and movers at the Volleyball House
- That's the way, ah ha, ah ha, we like it - FIVB surpasses 500,000 page likes on Facebook
- Argentina’s ‘Las Panteras’ take the Volleyball House by storm
- Lima and Conte demonstrate unifying power of volleyball
- Volleyball House a hit with AISTS students
- Athletes raise Volleyball House temperature
- FIVB Athletes’ Commission officially launched at Volleyball House
- Athlete takeover at Volleyball House
- FIVB lights up Copacabana with spectacular LED net display
- Volleyball technology wows former Brazilian stars
- VIDEO: Beach volleyball legend Randy Stoklos joins #CopaCourts fun
- Aussie rules at Volleyball House
- FIVB official partners enjoy the Rio Olympic experience at Volleyball House and #CopaCourts
- Ziraldo gives Volleyball House an ‘art attack’
- FIVB signs MoU with International Military Sports Council
- Copacabana evening rounds off memorable few days of Volleyball House visits
- President Graça welcomes Fuji TV to Volleyball House
- John Kerry leads dignitaries enjoying volleyball in Rio
- FIVB volleyball legends entertain crowds at showcase #CopaCourts
- FIVB volleyball courts open across Rio providing exciting activities for the whole family
- FIVB signs Memorandum of Understanding with International School Sport Federation
- VIDEO - Volleyball House opens its doors
- President Graça celebrates magnificent Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony
- Volleyball House opening lights up Copacabana
- Yellow Tiger Dirickx announces retirement
- Have your say and win!
- Perun Varna write history by claiming first club championship title in Bulgaria
- FIVB President Graça visits Olympians Reunion Centre Opening Ceremony
- FIVB President Graça officially opens volleyball development training centre in favela community
- Bulgaria awaits first ever club champion in beach volleyball
- FIVB stages Volleyball Your Way Festival in Rio
- Argentine men overcome Mexico 3-0 in Olympic warm-up
- Dominicans win NORCECA U20, earn ticket for 2017 World Championship
- Poland finish World Champs qualifier with clean record and five straight wins
- Turkey and Italy secure ticket to #FIVBWomensU23 World Champs
- Brazil wins second U23 Women’s South American title
- Poland claim ‘big match’ with Italy, both teams secure ticket to #FIVBMensU23
- Bulgaria, Turkey, Italy to fight for ticket to #FIVBWomensU23
- Turkey end Italy’s winning streak at #FIVBWomensU23 qualifier
- Poland, Italy make it three in a row at #FIVBMensU23 qualifier
- Copa Courts to celebrate volleyball in all its forms
- Volleyball Your Way movement to take over Madureira