FIVB Commission meetings underway
Lausanne, Switzerland, January 22, 2014 – The annual FIVB Commission meetings started on Monday with the Press Commission, Refereeing and Rules of the Game Commissions all in action. While the Press Commission meeting was staged over one day, the Refereeing and Rules of the Game Commissions completed their three-day meetings on Wednesday, including a joint meeting on Tuesday.
FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° opens the joint meeting of the Refereeing and Rules of the Game Commissions|
Main topics on the agenda for the Refereeing Commission included a review of the Challenge System which was introduced for the World League and World Grand Prix Finals in 2013 and approved by the Executive Committee in December for use in all major FIVB events in 2014.
The Commission also discussed improvements in the way referees perform their duties, especially in the way of modern technology.
The Commission also reviewed the six International Referee Candidate Courses which took place in 2013 – involving 68 participants from 47 countries across four courses for volleyball in Congo, Serbia, Indonesia and Senegal, and 26 participants from 17 countries at two courses for beach volleyball in Sudan and Liechtenstein.
In 2013 there were also six Volleyball Cooperation Programme Referee Courses in Grenada, Rwanda, Comoros Islands, Yemen, Togo and Benin involving a total of 143 participants.
Nine International Referee Candidate Courses – eight for volleyball, one for beach volleyball, are planned for 2014 in Thailand, Kazakhstan, India, Japan, Bahrain, Nigeria, Serbia, England and Lichtenstein (beach volleyball) while there are a total of 12 VCP Referee Courses scheduled in Liberia, Palestine, Mozambique, Burundi, Niger, Sierra Leone, Maldives, Sao Tome and Principe, Eritrea, Mariana Islands, Haiti and Kyrgyzstan with one Referee Instructors Course planned for Thailand.
The members also reviewed the first Instructors Seminar which was successfully staged at the FIVB last year with the practical part taking place at the Montreux Volley Masters. It was the third ever Instructors Seminar held by the FIVB - the first was in 1987 and the second in 2003. The first two seminars were attended only by volleyball referee instructors, whereas the third edition had both volleyball and beach volleyball Instructors, in line with the FIVB harmonisation strategy and direction for the two disciplines. Twenty one FIVB referee instructors from around the world attended the seminar.
Meanwhile, the Rules of the Game Commission also reviewed the performance of the Challenge System and discussed the progress of the harmonisation of the volleyball and beach volleyball rules.
The Commission also discussed the test of 21 points per set at the FIVB Volleyball U23 Men’s World Championship 2013 in Brazil.
The Press Commission reviewed the FIVB’s significant progress in the world of social media in 2013 and the future evolution of its communication strategy going forward, especially across the different Confederation platforms.
The next Commission meetings are Development and Medical, which start on Thursday.
OTHER FIVB NEWS
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Brazilian beach volleyball circuit gets under way
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Pass me the ball – 123,500 people play volleyball on Olympic Day in Latvia
- Saint Kitts and Nevis beach volleyball athletes begin training camp in Mexico
- Mauritian Volleyball League sees two first-time champions
- Japan, Thailand top pools at AVC Cup for Women
- FIVB President welcomes ASOIF President Francesco Ricci Bitti to FIVB headquarters
- Giovane Gavio happy to be coaching Brazil U-21 team
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- Poland triumph with U20 European gold in Plovdiv
- Argentina and Cuba to play for gold in Men's U23 Pan Am Cup
- Semifinals set in Men’s U23 Pan American Cup
- FIVB survey translated into five languages
- Congress logo features major Buenos Aires landmark
- Dominican Republic win NORCECA U18 title in dramatic fashion
- Chile, Cuba and Colombia get solid victories at Men's U23 Pan Am Cup
- Mini Volley continental seminar proves a rousing success in its second phase
- Men's U23 Pan Am Cup opens third edition in Guanajuato
- Back to school for Volleyball House
- Russia women win EuroVolley U19 to earn world champs spot
- Samoilovs and Smedins delight home crowd at Jurmala Masters
- Laboureur and Sude lead German clean sweep in Jurmala
- Swiss Olympic duos set to meet for national title
- Olympic heroes set to miss Italian championships
- Clay Stanley latest of USA's 2008 golden boys to retire
- Bank Sarmayeh to face Al-Arabi in final showdown at Asian Men's Club Championship
- Bank Sarmayeh, Shanghai set up mighty clash and Al-Arabi challenge Toyoda at Asian Men's Club Championship semifinals
- Bank Sarmayeh and Al-Arabi remain only two unbeaten teams at Asian Men's Club Championship
- Myanmar, Taiwan Power, Al-Arabi and Bank Sarmayeh top their pools at Asian Men's Club Championship
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Hosts Myanmar join strong teams for convincing wins on Day 1 at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Egypt crowned Girls' U18 African champions
- History makers and movers at the Volleyball House
- That's the way, ah ha, ah ha, we like it - FIVB surpasses 500,000 page likes on Facebook
- Argentina’s ‘Las Panteras’ take the Volleyball House by storm
- Lima and Conte demonstrate unifying power of volleyball
- Volleyball House a hit with AISTS students
- Athletes raise Volleyball House temperature
- FIVB Athletes’ Commission officially launched at Volleyball House
- Athlete takeover at Volleyball House
- FIVB lights up Copacabana with spectacular LED net display
- Volleyball technology wows former Brazilian stars
- VIDEO: Beach volleyball legend Randy Stoklos joins #CopaCourts fun
- Aussie rules at Volleyball House
- FIVB official partners enjoy the Rio Olympic experience at Volleyball House and #CopaCourts