FIVB U19 World Championships in Porto move into knockout phase
Porto, Portugal, August 1, 2014 - Teams from 22 different countries reached the second elimination round of the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships on Friday. Germany is best represented with two teams per gender. Russia and Brazil have two teams each in the women’s competition and one in the men’s knockout phase.
· The pool winners in the men’s competition are from Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, Poland and Russia.
· The pool winners in the women’s competition are from Canada, Brazil, Russia, the Czech Republic, Germany and Austria.
· Two men’s teams are still without set loss: Arthur/George Wanderley (BRA) and Yarzutkin/Stoyanovskiy (RUS).
· Three women’s teams are still without set loss: Eduarda/Andressa (BRA), Rudykh/Makroguzova (RUS) and Schneider/Arnholdt (GER).
· All last year’s U19 medallists that have returned to Porto are still in the competition: Eduarda Santos Lisboa (gold), Nadezda Makroguzova (silver) and Torey DeFalco (bronze).
USA’s DeFalco/Richard bounce back to move into second round in Porto
USA’s Torey DeFalco and Louis Richard showed great mental strength on Friday. After losing their final pool match to Venezuela’s Trigrito/Peter (21-10, 21-10), which set them back to third place in the pool, they bounced back with a 2-1 (21-18, 13-21, 15-13) win over Poland’s Kmiecik/Macura in the first elimination round. Read more
Puerto Rico and Paraguay girls into last 16 at the U19 World Championships
Paraguay and Puerto Rico both made it to the last 16 in the women’s competition of the FIVB U19 World Championships in Porto. For both countries it’s their best accomplishment so far. Read more
Venezuela tops the pool with swinging beach volleyball at the U19
Venezuela’s José Gregorio ‘Tigrito’ Gomez and Rolando ‘Peter’ Hernandez won their final pool match on Friday to top the pool with an unbeaten record at the FIVB U19 World Championships in Porto. The South Americans defeated USA’s top team Torey DeFalco and Louis Richard 2-0 (21-10, 21-10). Read more
Caps, cake and first place for the McNamara twins
Megan and Nicole McNamara
topped their pool early on Friday at the FIVB U19 World Championships by
defeating Germany’s Leonie Welsch and Constanze Bieneck 2-0 (21-19, 23-21) in a
direct match for first place in pool A. Read
The second elimination round starts on Saturday at 10.00, followed by the quarterfinals. The semifinals and medal matches for both genders are scheduled for Sunday.
The FIVB U19 World Championships are the fourth and final FIVB age group event on the 2014 calendar. In August China hosts the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing, some of the teams competing in Porto also qualified for this event.
OTHER BEACH VOLLEYBALL NEWS