U21 World Championships in Larnaka down to last eight
Larnaka, Cyprus, July 26, 2014 - The FIVB Beach Volleyball U21 World Championships in Larnaka are down to the last eight. Among the quarterfinalists are last year’s champions Katharzyna Kociolek and Jagoda Gruszczynska from Poland, Norway’s lucky losers Runar Sannarnes and Mathias Berntsen and dark horses Maxime Thiercy and Romain Di Giantommaso from France.
· Russia is the biggest supplier, with two teams in the men’s quarterfinals and one in the women’s.
· Norway has two teams in the men’s last eight, Poland has one in the men’s and one in the women’s.
· Men’s line-up: Bryl/Kujawiak (POL) – Wickler/Schneider (GER), Sannarnes/Berntsen (NOR) – Thiercy/Di Giantommaso (FRA), Yarzutkin/Stoyanovskiy (RUS) – Leshukov/Margiev (RUS), Sorum/Mol (NOR) – Andre/Vinicius (BRA).
· Women’s line-up: Hughes/Claes (USA) – Dabizha/Gorbunova (RUS), Dumbauskaite/Povilaityte (LTU) – Sulima/Udovenko (UKR), Strauss/Strauss (AUT) – Betschart/Eiholzer (SUI), Kociolek/Gruszscynska (POL) – Bukovic/Miric (CAN).
· In the first 13 years of the U21 World Championships Brazil has garnered the most final four placements, most medals and most gold medals in both genders.
Poland’s Bryl/Kujawiak cruise into last eight at the U21 with straight wins only
Michal Bryl and Kacper Kujawiak cruised their way into the
quarterfinals of the FIVB Beach Volleyball U21 World Championships on Saturday.
The Polish youngsters are hitting top form this week and have not lost a set
Dumbauskaite/Povilaityte upset Brazil to make the last eight in Larnaka
eva Dumbauskaite and Monika Povilaityte eliminated U19 world
champions Eduarda Santos Lisboa and Taina Silva Bigi on Saturday to reach the
quarterfinals of the FIVB Beach Volleyball U21 World Championships.
Austrian twins defeat U19 champions to top the pool in Larnaka
In a match for top position in pool D Austrian twins Teresa
and Nadine Strauss defeated U19 world champions Eduarda Santos Lisboa and Taina
Silva Bigi 2-0 (23-21, 21-18) on Saturday at the FIVB Beach Volleyball U1 World
Lucky losers from Norway end up pool winners at the U21
Norway’s Runar Torsvik Sannarnes and Mathias Berntsen topped
their pool on Saturday at the FIVB Beach Volleyball U21 World Championships in
Larnaka by defeating rivals Viktor Pestov and Kirill Gurin from Kazakhstan 2-0
The final day of the U21 World Championships starts with the men’s quarterfinals at 10.00, followed by the women’s at 11.00. The semifinals are all centre court matches, starting at 14.30. The bronze medal matches (18.00 and 19.00) and the finals (20.30 and 21.30) are all scheduled for the evening.
The U21 World Championships are the second age group event held in Larnaka. The Cypriot resort hosted the U19 in 2012. Next week Porto will host the fourth and final FIVB age group tournament of the 2014 season, the U19 World Championships.
In August the younger teams will travel to Nanjing, China, where the Youth Olympic Games will be held. The event will feature beach volleyball for the first time.
OTHER BEACH VOLLEYBALL NEWS