Corrientes preparations in full force for the FIVB Grand Slam
Corrientes, Argentina, May 14, 2013 – The city of Corrientes is gearing up for the for the most important beach volleyball event in Argentina’s history, the FIVB Grand Slam, which will take place from May 22 to 26.
"Today, the people of Corrientes can be assured of the importance of our city and that they can be proud of hosting such an important international beach volleyball event,” added Espinola. He also stressed the importance of continuing to build on the accomplishments of the city and province and its different activities.
Corrientes is the first city of Argentina to organise such a high-level beach volleyball event. As with the other Grand Slam events, players will be looking to perform well in order to attain as many points as possible for the FIVB World Ranking after the Olympic Games and the World Championship.
A number of different activities, cultural and food tours are also being planned around the event in order to boost local interest.
- Grand Slam audience places: 7,500
- Participation of over 60 teams from different parts of the world with television broadcasting in 150 countries
- Corrientes is the second stop on the FIVB World Circuit after the Shanghai Grand Slam that was held at the end of April
- Other cities that organise the event: The Hague (NED), Rome (ITA), Gstaad (SUI), Long Beach (USA), Berlin (GER), Moscow (RUS), Beijing (CHN) and Sao Paolo (BRA)
- The Argentine city of Mar de Plata has also held Open beach volleyball events in 1998, 1999, 2000
- The last volleyball competition held in Argentina was part of the FIVB World Circuit that took place in Buenos Aires, Puerto Madero in 2005
OTHER BEACH VOLLEYBALL NEWS