Shanghai hosts opening Grand Slam of 2013
Shanghai, China, April 4, 2013 – There are 26 days until Shanghai, China’s financial capital, plays host to the opening Grand Slam tournament of 2013, the first of 10 tournaments on a new and improved FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour.
Local favourites Chen Xue and Zhang Xi won gold at the Shanghai Grand Slam 12 months ago after defeating Brazil’s Talita Antunes and Maria Antonelli in the final in front of a packed arena at Jinshan Beach|
A year ago local favourites Chen Xue and Zhang Xi won gold at the City Beach Volleyball Centre after defeating Brazil’s Talita Antunes and Maria Antonelli in front of a packed arena at Jinshan Beach, while Brazilian world champions, Larissa Franca and Juliana Felisberta da Silva claimed bronze.
The Chinese duo will be in determined mood to repeat their success and start 2013 in positive fashion after missing out to Larissa and Juliana for the London 2012 Olympic Games bronze medal and the World Tour crown last year.
With the likes of Larissa and Juliana, Talita and Maria Antonelli and Olympic champions Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor having ended their partnerships, Chen and Zhang Xi will be overwhelming favourites for the World Tour crown and the 2013 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships gold medals.
Olympic silver medallists Jennifer Kessy and April Ross are likely to be leading challengers for gold, while there are a host of European teams aiming to break through into the upper echelons of the sport. These include Italy’s Greta Cicolari and Marta Menegatti, Germany’s Ilka Semmler and Katrin Holtwick and Dutch duo Marleen van Iersel and Sanne Keizer, who won gold in Shanghai in 2011.
The 2013 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour will run over a six month period and features 10 mixed-gender tournaments across four of the five confederations, the last of which takes place in Sao Paolo, Brazil from October 9-13.
The calendar also features the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships that takes place in Stare Jablonki, Poland from July 1-7.
It is the ninth straight year in which Shanghai has hosted a women’s FIVB SWATCH World Tour event and the final takes place on May 4.
Following the completion of the Shanghai Grand Slam the World Tour moves onto to the Corrientes Grand Slam in Argentina from May 22-26.
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 5
- Fort Lauderdale shows beach volleyball is on the right track
- Familiar family, friends, fans and FOE
- Players compete for "colorful" SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals trophy
- Brazil vs. Germany for women’s US$100,000 first-place prize Sunday
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 4
- Current & past FIVB world champions “stayin’ alive” in Fort Lauderdale
- President Graça meets legends past and present in Fort Lauderdale
- Rematches galore in Fort Lauderdale
- Women’s SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals women’s bracket set
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- Top seeds win opening matches at AVC Women’s Beach Volleyball Championship in Hong Kong
- Canadian Olympian Drakich likes what he sees
- VIDEOS - Meeting the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals athletes
- German girls twinkling and laughing
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Beach Volleyball rivalry blasts sky high
- Racecar driver visits SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Lost in America
- New date for U17 World Champs
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- Canadians Created Head Shaking
- 36 hours or 36 days?
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Players ready for Florida heat
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update after FIVB Xiamen Open
- First FIVB World Tour gold for Switzerland's Heidrich/Zumkehr at Xiamen Open
- Milestone Saturday for Lucena & Dalhausser
- Zumkehr/Heidrich upset top seeds Wang/Yue to enter Xiamen Open semifinal
- Milestone gold medal for USA’s Lucena/Dalhausser in Xiamen Open
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Participants Dalhausser & Lucena advance in China
- Latvia's Plavins/Regza storm to first FIVB World Tour semifinals at Xiamen Open
- Top seeds Yue/Wang unbeaten in pool play at Xiamen Open
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals participants beat the heat & humidity, stayin’ alive
- Top seeds Wang/Yue off to good start in Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- Samoilovs/Smedins, Lucena/ Dalhausser reach last 16 at Xiamen Open
- Brooke's bitter “Sweat" times
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals participants - Continue success & starting play
- Top seeds Samoilovs/Smedins lead pool in Xiamen Open Main Draw
- Germany's Mersmann/Schneider lead eight teams into women's Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- Making the “Benjamin Button of beach volleyball”
- USA's Crabb brothers reach 2015 Xiamen Open Main Draw in first major tournament
- Day & Kessy jet-setting around the world - SoCal to China to FLA to SoCal
- FIVB World Tour returns to China for $150,000 FIVB Xiamen Open
- Disappointment, but elation
- Prelude to Fort Lauderdale