Namibia dominate Zone 6 Beach Volleyball Tournament
As Zimbabwe, Swaziland, and hosts Namibia were the only countries to take part in the competition, which is part of the Africa qualification process for the FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 and U21 World Championships which will take place in 2013, all three have qualified to the next round. They will be joined by the countries that qualified in the zone V and zone VII championships.
Three out of the four categories were won by the Namibian teams, despite the fact that top Namibian junior player Julia Laggner was not able to take part with her partner Saskia Henkert.
Namibia coach Achim Lueck took the decision to move the Under 18 team of Maike Brandt and Mareike Talkenberg to the Under 21 category. The second youth team of Kim Seebach and Stephanie Palmhert played in the youth category instead. “Fortunately we have great youth development and a backup of players," said coach Achim Lueck.
The Junior boys Tin Hlupic and Gerard Fischer proved once again that they are the team to beat in Southern Africa. "We were at the Youth World Championships last year and now we want to qualify for the Junior World Championship this year,” said Hlupic after an impressive victory against the Zimbabwean team.
Junior Men (U21)
1. Tin Hlupic / Gerard Fischer (Nam)
2. Simbarash Kaseke / Arnold Mutubuki (Zim)
3. Xolani Mahlalela / Qiniso Mthethwa (Swz)
Junior Women (U21)
1. Maike Brandt / Mareike Talkenberg (Nam)
2. Mathilda Dube / Charity Chikore (Zim)
3. Nunsikelelo Sithole / Tenele Dlamini (Swz)
Youth Boys (U18)
1. Elton Chiketa / Jonathan Mhandu (Zim)
2. Mangaliso Magagula / Mangaliso Zweli Magagula (Swz)
3. Jan Erik Sack / Roman von Ludwiger (Nam)
Youth Girls (U18)
1. Kim Seebach / Stephanie Palmhert (Nam)
2. Princess Moyo / Progress Gasa (Zim)
OTHER BEACH VOLLEYBALL NEWS