Kiwi men delight in New Zealand Open win
Bay of Plenty, New Zealand, February 4, 2013 – New Zealand men’s pair Brendon Heath and Sam O’Dea delighted their home fans with victory at the Marathon Visual Media NZ Beach Volleyball Open.
New Zealand's Brendon Heath and Sam O'Dea beat the USA's Tri Bourne and Will Montgomery in the NZ Open |
In the final they came up against the US team of Tri Bourne and Will Montgomery, who had won at the Hamilton competition a week previously and started strongly to win the first set.
With a vocal crow of 1,000 behind them though Heath and O’Dea fought back to win the second and they carried their momentum into the final set and built an early lead. The US pair fought back late on, but the Kiwis were solid in their defence and held on to win 2-1.
O'Dea has competed 11 times on the FIVB World Tour while Heath has made six appearances, the last being in 2011, however they have never competed internationally together.
Despite the defeat the US duo had done enough to win the overall New Zealand international tour title.
In the women’s final German pair Julia Sude and Chantal Laboureur held off the challenge of Australian Olympian Tamsin Hinchley and New Zealand’s Micah Lindsay-Brown. It means Sude and Laboureur were also crowned overall tour champions.
The German duo took control quickly in the first set and while the Trans-Tasman pair put Sude and Laboureur under pressure in the second, the Europeans finished with a 2-0 win. It meant Hinchley and Lindsay-Brown had to settle for a second consecutive silver medal a week after finishing second in Hamilton.
Julia Tilley and Shaunna Polley, and Melissa Ruru and Alice Bain, both New Zealand teams, shared the women’s bronze, while Ben and Edwin O’Dea shared the men’s bronze with the USA’s Mark Burik and Jeremy Casebeer.
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 5
- Fort Lauderdale shows beach volleyball is on the right track
- Familiar family, friends, fans and FOE
- Players compete for "colorful" SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals trophy
- Brazil vs. Germany for women’s US$100,000 first-place prize Sunday
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 4
- Current & past FIVB world champions “stayin’ alive” in Fort Lauderdale
- President Graça meets legends past and present in Fort Lauderdale
- Rematches galore in Fort Lauderdale
- Women’s SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals women’s bracket set
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- Top seeds win opening matches at AVC Women’s Beach Volleyball Championship in Hong Kong
- Canadian Olympian Drakich likes what he sees
- VIDEOS - Meeting the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals athletes
- German girls twinkling and laughing
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Beach Volleyball rivalry blasts sky high
- Racecar driver visits SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Lost in America
- New date for U17 World Champs
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- Canadians Created Head Shaking
- 36 hours or 36 days?
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Players ready for Florida heat
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update after FIVB Xiamen Open
- First FIVB World Tour gold for Switzerland's Heidrich/Zumkehr at Xiamen Open
- Milestone Saturday for Lucena & Dalhausser
- Zumkehr/Heidrich upset top seeds Wang/Yue to enter Xiamen Open semifinal
- Milestone gold medal for USA’s Lucena/Dalhausser in Xiamen Open
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Participants Dalhausser & Lucena advance in China
- Latvia's Plavins/Regza storm to first FIVB World Tour semifinals at Xiamen Open
- Top seeds Yue/Wang unbeaten in pool play at Xiamen Open
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals participants beat the heat & humidity, stayin’ alive
- Top seeds Wang/Yue off to good start in Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- Samoilovs/Smedins, Lucena/ Dalhausser reach last 16 at Xiamen Open
- Brooke's bitter “Sweat" times
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals participants - Continue success & starting play
- Top seeds Samoilovs/Smedins lead pool in Xiamen Open Main Draw
- Germany's Mersmann/Schneider lead eight teams into women's Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- Making the “Benjamin Button of beach volleyball”
- USA's Crabb brothers reach 2015 Xiamen Open Main Draw in first major tournament
- Day & Kessy jet-setting around the world - SoCal to China to FLA to SoCal
- FIVB World Tour returns to China for $150,000 FIVB Xiamen Open
- Disappointment, but elation
- Prelude to Fort Lauderdale