Lausanne, Switzerland, July 16, 2014 –
Iran, Russia, Italy and USA play in the opening matches of the Final Six,
renewing their bids for the 2014 FIVB Volleyball World League in Florence,
Italy, on Wednesday.
The six teams are divided into two pools and will play in a Round Robin format, with Pool H comprising hosts Italy, USA and nine-time winners Brazil and Pool I including defending champions Russia, Iran and Group 2 winners Australia.
- Iran and Russia have met twice in the World League – both matches were won by Russia, foiling Iran’s debut in the World League in 2013.
- In their second participation, Iran have qualified for the Finals for the first time by finishing second in Pool A; Pool I contenders Australia have also achieved this feat.
- If Iran will triumph over Russia, they would improve their win ratio as they have won already 50 per cent of their matches this season, matching their win ratio on their debut.
- Out of their 23 World League appearances, Russia have qualified 22 times for the Final Round; the only time they failed to qualify was in 2012.
- Russia are on a winning spree as they have won seven of their last eight matches – six of those matches were won in straight sets.
- Last season, Russia won only one of the two matches in the Round Robin phase of the Finals but reigned as champions, beating Italy in the semifinal, and Brazil in the final.
- Russia need to overcome their five-setter losing spell, as they have lost all of their five-set matches this season.
- Italy and USA have met 22 times in the World League, evenly splitting the victories with 11 each. They have met twice in the Finals of the World League, where Italy defeated USA in 1992 and 2000 in the Round Robin phase, eventually leading to victories in both World League seasons.
- USA have the edge in victories in their last 12 encounters, as Italy have won only two matches, but in their first 10 encounters, Italy edged USA with a 9-1 record.
- Italy will be entering the Final Round for an impressive 20th time in 25 participations.
- USA reached the Final Round for the eighth time in 17 participations, their last appearance in the Final Round was in 2012 when they lost to Poland in straight sets.
World League's top four USA, Brazil, Italy and Iran contribute to Dream Team
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 24, 2014 – USA outside hitter Taylor Sander topped the statistical charts to receive the highest individual honour in the ... More...
Andrea Zorzi: Speed is at the heart of modern volleyball
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 22, 2014 - After the end of the 2014 FIVB Volleyball World League, former Italian champion Andrea Zorzi talked about the d... More...
World League performances reshuffle world ranking
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 22, 2014 – The 2014 FIVB Volleyball World League has resulted in a reshuffle of the senior men’s world ranking, with Serbi... More...
Talking Stats: USA join World League’s multiple gold medal club; Italy win back-to-back bronze
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 20, 2014 – USA secured their second gold medal in the competition and became the fourth nation to earn multiple gold medal... More...
USA upset Brazil to claim second World League title
Florence, Italy, July 20, 2014 – USA, ranked fourth in the world, beat world No. 1 Brazil in four outstanding sets 3-1 (31-29, 21-25, 25-20, 25-23) to... More...
Lee hails 'unbelievable' team after USA scoop gold medal
Florence, Italy, July 20, 2014 - USA's players hailed an "unbelievable" 3-1 win (31-29, 21-25, 25-20, 25-23) over world no.1 ranked Brazil in the Worl... More...
Dynamic USA power past Brazil to grab World League gold
Florence, Italy, July 20, 2014 – USA stunned Brazil 3-1 (31-29, 21-25, 25-20, 25-23) to claim the gold medal at the FIVB World League Finals in Floren... More...
We will go for gold soon, says Italy's Travica
Florence, Italy, July 20, 2014 – Italian setter Dragan Travica said that Italy can win a future tournament soon, after they claimed the bronze medal i... More...
Italy claim second consecutive World League Finals bronze
Florence, Italy, July 20, 2014 - Italy claimed the bronze medal of the 2014 FIVB World League Finals, beating Iran 3-0 (25-22, 25-18, 25-22) in a sold... More...
Stats Preview: Brazil, USA set for first-ever meeting in World League final; Italy eye fourth bronze medal
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 19, 2014 – Brazil and USA are set to clash in their first-ever final matchup in the competition, while hosts Italy take on... More...