Florence, Italy, July 15, 2014 – Florence is all set for World League action, which starts on Wednesday at 17.30 local time with holders Russia taking on newcomers Iran. Over five exciting days, Brazil, USA, Russia, Italy, Australia and Iran will battle it out.
• The six participants at the FIVB Volleyball World League Group 1 Finals in Florence, Italy come from five different continents: South America (Brazil), Asia (Iran), Europe (Italy and Russia), North America (USA) and Australia and Oceania (Australia).
• Two groups of three (Russia, Brazil, Iran in Group E, USA, Australia and hosts Italy in Group H) will play each other, with the bottom side in each group eliminated. The four remaining teams will contest the semi finals (first place in group E playing second place in group H and vice versa), with the bronze medal match and final taking place on Sunday.
• The competition will be held at the Nelson Mandela Forum in Florence, formerly the Palazzetto dell Sport di Firenze and Palasport. The arena has seating for 9,000 people and the games are sold out. The forum has previously hosted rock concerts and the FIVB Men's Volleyball World Championship.
• Florence is the fourth Italian city to host a World League final after Rome, Milan and Genoa. It caps a bumper year for Italy, who also host the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship in Rome, Trieste, Verona, Bari, Modena and Milan from September 23 to October 12, and the FIVB Congress in Milan from October 31 to November 1.
• Italy qualified automatically as hosts, but still topped their qualifying Pool A ahead of Iran and Brazil. They are however in poor form, having lost their last six fixtures.
• Iran qualified as runners up in Pool A, edging ahead of world No.1 ranked side Brazil to become the one team who didn't have to wait until the last match to see if they'd qualify.
• Australia won their last four World League matches, all in Sydney. They finished 10th without winning a match in their only previous World League appearance in 1999.
• USA narrowly won Pool B, finishing on the same points (24) as Russia but with a better win record. Olympic gold medalists and defending champions Russia finished second and their recent record in big tournaments will make them many people's favourites.
World League's top four USA, Brazil, Italy and Iran contribute to Dream Team
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 24, 2014 – USA outside hitter Taylor Sander topped the statistical charts to receive the highest individual honour in the ... More...
Andrea Zorzi: Speed is at the heart of modern volleyball
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 22, 2014 - After the end of the 2014 FIVB Volleyball World League, former Italian champion Andrea Zorzi talked about the d... More...
World League performances reshuffle world ranking
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 22, 2014 – The 2014 FIVB Volleyball World League has resulted in a reshuffle of the senior men’s world ranking, with Serbi... More...
Talking Stats: USA join World League’s multiple gold medal club; Italy win back-to-back bronze
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 20, 2014 – USA secured their second gold medal in the competition and became the fourth nation to earn multiple gold medal... More...
USA upset Brazil to claim second World League title
Florence, Italy, July 20, 2014 – USA, ranked fourth in the world, beat world No. 1 Brazil in four outstanding sets 3-1 (31-29, 21-25, 25-20, 25-23) to... More...
Lee hails 'unbelievable' team after USA scoop gold medal
Florence, Italy, July 20, 2014 - USA's players hailed an "unbelievable" 3-1 win (31-29, 21-25, 25-20, 25-23) over world no.1 ranked Brazil in the Worl... More...
Dynamic USA power past Brazil to grab World League gold
Florence, Italy, July 20, 2014 – USA stunned Brazil 3-1 (31-29, 21-25, 25-20, 25-23) to claim the gold medal at the FIVB World League Finals in Floren... More...
We will go for gold soon, says Italy's Travica
Florence, Italy, July 20, 2014 – Italian setter Dragan Travica said that Italy can win a future tournament soon, after they claimed the bronze medal i... More...
Italy claim second consecutive World League Finals bronze
Florence, Italy, July 20, 2014 - Italy claimed the bronze medal of the 2014 FIVB World League Finals, beating Iran 3-0 (25-22, 25-18, 25-22) in a sold... More...
Stats Preview: Brazil, USA set for first-ever meeting in World League final; Italy eye fourth bronze medal
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 19, 2014 – Brazil and USA are set to clash in their first-ever final matchup in the competition, while hosts Italy take on... More...