NORCECA Beach Circuit will have 17 stops in 2013
The season will start in the Cayman Islands (March 20-25), continuing in the Dominican Republic (March 21-April 1) and then Guatemala (April 17-22). The circuit will then move to Mexico for stops in the cities of Tampico (May 1-6), Chiapas (May 8-13), Morelia (May 15-20), Toluca (June 5-10) and Acapulco (June 12-17).
Puerto Rico will host the next stop (August 14-19), then Cuba (August 21-26) and San Diego, USA (September 25-30), before the circuit turns back to Mexico for tournaments in Mazatlan (October 2-7) and Colima (October 9-14).
The season will conclude with events in Saint Lucia (October 23-28), Costa Rica (October 30-November 4), Trinidad & Tobago (November 13-18) and Aruba (November 27-December 2).
The commission voted on a proposal to increase the prize money for the events to $16,000 for the double-gender tournaments, as was the case for the last tournament of 2012 held in Aruba.
During the meeting, members of the commission received reports from the different regional zones – CAZOVA, ECVA and AFECAVOL – as well as a general report from Arnaldo Sanchez, president of the commission. It covered the eleven competitions of 2012 and also the events of the Continental Cup, prior to the Olympic Games, which were held in the Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Mexico.
NORCECA’s president, Cristobal Marte Hoffiz, presented the first-round tentative calendar for the Continental Cup leading to the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, which will start next year if approved by the FIVB.
Hoffiz also confirmed NORCECA’s commitment to organise qualification tournaments for the FIVB Youth, Junior and Under-23 Beach Volleyball World Championships, and also qualifiers for the 2014 Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing, China.
The double-gender Youth and U-23 qualification tournaments will be held in Puerto Rico, while the double-gender Junior tournament will take place in Costa Rica. All these events will take place in March.
The following proposals were also submitted for approval by the NORCECA Board of Administration and Executive Committee:
- Three open tournaments to be held in NORCECA countries, with financial assistance from the FIVB and at sites to be decided by January 12, 2013.
- The number of referees for the events will be increased to nine, including three neutrals.
- The minimum number of courts for an event to receive authorisation for an official competition will be three.
- The arrival date for the referee supervisor and the technical director for events taking place on weekends will be the preceding Tuesday.
- To adopt the pool-play format with a consolation round in order to guarantee the participating teams at least four matches per tournament.
- Prize money for top-ranked National Federations at the end of the year will be increased from $5,000 to $10,000 per gender.
- The Regional Development Centre in Dominican Republic to organise international courses for coaches and referees in 2013.