FIVB to conduct two major beach volleyball rule tests in 2014
Lausanne, Switzerland, February 21, 2014 – Following through on the FIVB Executive Committee’s long term vision to harmonise the rules of volleyball and beach volleyball, two major rule tests focusing on the block rule and the first hit in beach volleyball will be conducted in 2014.
The 'block' and 'first hit' rule will be tested in all FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour events as well as the U23 and U21 age group championships in 2014 |
The first test will study the use of the block rule (14.4), as currently used in volleyball, in all FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour events in 2014. In this year’s FIVB Beach Volleyball Opens, Grand Slams and the Grand Slam Final a block will not be counted as a hit, allowing players a maximum of three hits (in addition to blocking) to return the ball. The existing rule 14.4.1 stipulated that a blocking contact is counted as a team hit.
The second test, which is focused on the first hit of the team, will take place at the FIVB Beach Volleyball U23 and U21 World Championships that will be held in Myslowice, Poland from June 10 to 15 and Larnaca, Cyprus from July 22 to 27 respectively. These two age-group World Championships were selected since the competition conditions are similar to that of senior level tournaments with many players at this age level also competing on the FIVB World Tour.
This ‘first hit’ test will study beach volleyball players’ use of the same first hit action in volleyball (Rule 184.108.40.206) where players will be able to come in contact through overhand action with the fingers, as long as the ball rebounds immediately. Therefore the test will involve the non-application of beach volleyball rule 220.127.116.11.
In both cases, the tests will be used to gather scientific match data to study the impact on the game. Video analyses comparing relevant data from the current picture of the game against data retrieved from the tests will be used and the information analysed according to gender.
The reports will be submitted to a group of FIVB experts to be nominated from the relevant FIVB Commissions for final recommendation to the Executive Committee followed by eventual submission to the 2014 FIVB World Congress that will take place in Milan, Italy from October 31 to November 1.
The Refereeing and Rules of the Game Commissions will conduct the testing over the 2014 season, following a request from the Beach Volleyball Commission in December 2013 to study the impact of the rule changes on the game. With the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio a little over two years away, players would have enough time to adjust to the changes if a decision was made to change the rules at the end of the testing period.
With the aim of providing athletes with more opportunities to participate, the FIVB has confirmed a total of 10 double-gender Grand Slams for the 2014 World Tour season, supplemented by a further six double-gender and three single-gender Open tournaments. This year’s World Tour represents a significant increase on the 10 Grand Slams and four Open tournaments which featured along with the World Championships in 2013.
OTHER FIVB NEWS
- Bank Sarmayeh to face Al-Arabi in final showdown at Asian Men's Club Championship
- Bank Sarmayeh, Shanghai set up mighty clash and Al-Arabi challenge Toyoda at Asian Men's Club Championship semifinals
- Bank Sarmayeh and Al-Arabi remain only two unbeaten teams at Asian Men's Club Championship
- Myanmar, Taiwan Power, Al-Arabi and Bank Sarmayeh top their pools at Asian Men's Club Championship
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Hosts Myanmar join strong teams for convincing wins on Day 1 at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- History makers and movers at the Volleyball House
- That's the way, ah ha, ah ha, we like it - FIVB surpasses 500,000 page likes on Facebook
- Argentina’s ‘Las Panteras’ take the Volleyball House by storm
- Lima and Conte demonstrate unifying power of volleyball
- Volleyball House a hit with AISTS students
- Athletes raise Volleyball House temperature
- FIVB Athletes’ Commission officially launched at Volleyball House
- Athlete takeover at Volleyball House
- FIVB lights up Copacabana with spectacular LED net display
- Volleyball technology wows former Brazilian stars
- VIDEO: Beach volleyball legend Randy Stoklos joins #CopaCourts fun
- Aussie rules at Volleyball House
- FIVB official partners enjoy the Rio Olympic experience at Volleyball House and #CopaCourts
- Ziraldo gives Volleyball House an ‘art attack’
- FIVB signs MoU with International Military Sports Council
- Copacabana evening rounds off memorable few days of Volleyball House visits
- President Graça welcomes Fuji TV to Volleyball House
- John Kerry leads dignitaries enjoying volleyball in Rio
- FIVB volleyball legends entertain crowds at showcase #CopaCourts
- FIVB volleyball courts open across Rio providing exciting activities for the whole family
- FIVB signs Memorandum of Understanding with International School Sport Federation
- VIDEO - Volleyball House opens its doors
- President Graça celebrates magnificent Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony
- Volleyball House opening lights up Copacabana
- Yellow Tiger Dirickx announces retirement
- Have your say and win!
- Perun Varna write history by claiming first club championship title in Bulgaria
- FIVB President Graça visits Olympians Reunion Centre Opening Ceremony
- FIVB President Graça officially opens volleyball development training centre in favela community
- Bulgaria awaits first ever club champion in beach volleyball
- FIVB stages Volleyball Your Way Festival in Rio
- Argentine men overcome Mexico 3-0 in Olympic warm-up
- Dominicans win NORCECA U20, earn ticket for 2017 World Championship
- Poland finish World Champs qualifier with clean record and five straight wins
- Turkey and Italy secure ticket to #FIVBWomensU23 World Champs
- Brazil wins second U23 Women’s South American title
- Poland claim ‘big match’ with Italy, both teams secure ticket to #FIVBMensU23
- Bulgaria, Turkey, Italy to fight for ticket to #FIVBWomensU23
- Turkey end Italy’s winning streak at #FIVBWomensU23 qualifier
- Poland, Italy make it three in a row at #FIVBMensU23 qualifier
- Copa Courts to celebrate volleyball in all its forms
- Volleyball Your Way movement to take over Madureira